Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5 pin connector wiring ?

K.B.

Around 2007 when I bought my Explorer SE, kellyco advertised a hip mount kit, and I bought one. At present I use it with my e-trac. A 3 ft detector to coil cable was supplied. Awhile back I unsoldered and removed the male 5 pin connector from this cable. As good habit I drew a diagram prior. Later I resoldered the connector. I must have got my wires crossed or ? now my hip mount/ e-trac sounds off/falsing the whole time. When not using the hip mount, the detector operators as normal. Please can someone point me to a solution, wiring diagram, ect.

Thanks for the diagrams. After making a diagram, checking, rechecking and triple checking continuity through all wires, pins, etc, I was sure the wiring was correct. Now I later noticed that the no. 3 pin on this 5 pin M12 search coil extension cable connector was originally grounded to the outer casing. The makers of this hipmount kit did this by connecting a thin wire to no. 3 pin and placed the opposite end between the cable and the clamp. This wire actually fell out when I separating the connector. Although I made a diagram years earlier, I didn't think it necessary to include this ground wire placement. I tried to determine which pin it was on. I couldn't tell. I replaced the existing cable, (which is the same type as e-series search coil cables) with one a little longer, The cable runs through a short square alum shaft, similar to an e-trac upper shaft but has a smaller I.D., being smaller than the M12 connector and the same applies to the female connector on the opposite end. So to replace the cable I had to first remove the M12 connector. After replacing the cable and connecting the connector, minus the ground wire, my e-trac was totally unstable, but only when using the hipmount. To the solution. Earlier when troubleshooting, I found that the no. 3 pin on my etrac coil cable connector was grounded, so when I connect my extension cable to my e-trac the no. 3 pin on the M12 at the other end was also grounded. This fact led me to assume that the before mentioned "grounding wire" was originally on the no. 3 pin, which proved to be correct. Now after this little fix my e-trac is good to go. Now I'm either going to attempt to repair my pro coil, ( right ear just broke) or buy a better made coil, X-12 ?