Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5" Racer 2 coil not very deep

hrefab

I decided to try out the 5" coil that came with my Racer 2 Pro package after reading how sensitive and deep it is. I also watched the video from the manufacturer showing some pretty incredible air test distances. Now I'm quite happy with the performance on my stock large coil and was pretty excited to see how much better the small coil was going to be depth wise, but honestly, it's kind of a bust. In a clean air test, I can see MAYBE 6" on a quarter, less on penny, dime and nickel. I tried the Deep program and got maybe an extra inch or inch and a half, but no where near the numbers that I saw on the video. I'm wondering if there are some different settings that I may need to make to extract that performance from this small coil. It DID do a bit better on masked targets such as a nickel with a rusty nail on top of it. It detected all the coins (nickel , dime penny, quarter) with a nail either on top of the target or in very close proximity so that was a plus. I'm just a bit disappointed with the lack of real depth. Even in the ground, I would say that 5" is about the limit on this coil. My ground isn't particularly mineralized either so it's not a question of bad soil. Any ideas? Could I have a bad coil? I don't think so, but I'm not familiar enough with the coil to make that call.

Depth on a coin is Approx limited to the size of the coil. 5 inch coil = 5 inches on a coin. 8 inch coil = 8 inches depth on a coin. This is a rough rule of thumb guide. ..Unless a detector genius can prove otherwise.

Its deeper than most 5 inch coils and if your using that coil for what its made for i dont think depth is a priority

Its deeper than most 5 inch coils and if your using that coil for what its made for i dont think depth is a priority

Let's see, how does that commercial put it?

We should be saying, it's not as crappy as other 5" coils! LOL

You guys are a riot! Ok, thanks for the info. I get it now... I certainly misunderstood some posts that I had read about the depth of this coil. I have a number of small coils for my machiens and rarely use them so I'm not savvy on the small coil experience. Forums like this one are great to set one straight!

It DOES have excellent separation, but then again, so does the stock large coil.

Thanks fellows!

Lot of variables to factor in, but in order to achieve maximum depth you need to have minimal to no EMI and maximum gain. I have dug 8-9" (measured) coins with my OOR RC13 DD 13 cm x 12 cm (5"x4.5") coil on my Racer1. I don't have (or see the need to obtain) the new 5" coil that came out with the Racer2, but it's possible it may not be as deep as the OOR coil?

Also I believe that a coil can go no deeper then it's width is purely urban legend, I've dug plenty of targets that were far deeper then the width of the coil. What's the logic (or physics) to support such a claim?

hh,
Brian

The smaller coils, be it an 'OOR' shape or 5½" round shape, provide me excellent in-the-field performance for what they are designed or intended for, and that is working in and around trash, brush, building rubble, etc. Their ability to unmask good targets is amazing, as is the detection depth I have achieved using these coils for a year-and-a-half.

hrefab said:
I decided to try out the 5" coil that came with my Racer 2 Pro package after reading how sensitive and deep it is. I also watched the video from the manufacturer showing some pretty incredible air test distances.
Yes, the performance of the Racer 2 with either the 'OOR' or round 5½" coils is incredible, and the handling in dense trash for unmasking performance, as well as in-the-field detection depth, is very impressive for what their smaller size might suggest.

hrefab said:
Now I'm quite happy with the performance on my stock large coil and was pretty excited to see how much better the small coil was going to be depth wise, but honestly, it's kind of a bust. In a clean air test, I can see MAYBE 6" on a quarter, less on penny, dime and nickel. I tried the Deep program and got maybe an extra inch or inch and a half, but no where near the numbers that I saw on the video.
The 3-Tone mode will provide the least depth, the 2-Tone mode somewhat better depth, and the DEEP mode will add a bit to what the conventional 2-Tone more can produce, IF all of the settings are similar and the sweep speed is at peak efficiency.

It is a smaller-size coil and will generally provide a little less depth than a larger-size coil.

hrefab said:
I'm wondering if there are some different settings that I may need to make to extract that performance from this small coil.
Well, the first question I have, and what's missing in this post, is what settings YOU were using with the 5½" DD coil, as well as what search mode was used.

hrefab said:
It DID do a bit better on masked targets such as a nickel with a rusty nail on top of it. It detected all the coins (nickel , dime penny, quarter) with a nail either on top of the target or in very close proximity so that was a plus.
Yes, masked targets have little chance with any of my Racer series or FORS series models, especially when working the smaller-size search coil!.

hrefab said:
I'm just a bit disappointed with the lack of real depth. Even in the ground, I would say that 5" is about the limit on this coil. My ground isn't particularly mineralized either so it's not a question of bad soil. Any ideas? Could I have a bad coil? I don't think so, but I'm not familiar enough with the coil to make that call.
Depth? It has long been 'suggested' that a quick way to 'guess' a typical depth-of-detection with any search coil is by measuring it's diameter [size=small](if it is round shaped)[/size] or measuring the narrowest diameter [size=small](if it is out-of-round, elliptical, or some other unnatural configuration)[/size], so a search coil close to a 5" measurement will get 'close-to' a 5" depth. That's inly a suggestion and really depends upon any EMI or masking targets present, the ground mineral make-up, the search coil sweep speed,. the Gain and other settings .... and it is often shown to be close, but could be 1" to 2" or even more off, ± from the soil diameter.

I have used 4½" Concentric coils and seldom achieved more than 3½"-4" depth, at best, and I have used 7" Concentric search coils from the same detector manufacturer and three of the same coils could vary in 'depth performance' by as much as 2½" between the better performing coil and worst performing coil. I have 2 of the 'OOR' coils in use, and 5 of the 5½" round coils being used by my different Racer series and FORS series models, and every one of them performs exceptionally. There is very little, if any, perceived difference between them in performance, and I do find small targets at surprising depths, even in 'bad ground.'

Several of my Indian Head Cents, Buffalo Nickels, and silver Barber Dimes so far this year, all found with one of the smaller coils, were retrieved from depths of 6" to 6½"-7" in some bad ground, and I have found many smaller-size buttons and rivets and such also at those depths, and I am talking very small sized targets.

So, a lot has to do with the Gain level used and search coil presentation. I am sure that as you use your Racer 2 w/5½" DD coil more, you will get a better understanding and appreciation for the performance, and enjoy very reasonable depths of detection.

Monte

my 5" coil get a dime at 6" deep and will not hear a dime at 7"

kaolinwasher said:
my 5" coil get a dime at 6" deep and will not hear a dime at 7"

with what gain #? ground balance #? and # of bars, ie mineralization.....these all would seem to play a big role along
with there actually being something to find, haha (my major problem)....

hrefab said:
I decided to try out the 5" coil that came with my Racer 2 Pro package after reading how sensitive and deep it is. the small coil was going to be depth wise, but honestly, it's kind of a bust. .

Yes, you have missed the point about the use of a small coil.

They aren't designed to be 'depth getters' but are instead 'isolatars'
>>> They work almost like a night vision device in that they "can see" in the ground and note the gaps where a trash item is close to a good item and signal that gap as a POSitive signal instead of a NULL out whereby you would miss the good target.

Was just reporting on what I had found that contradicted what I had heard and read from people who evidently didn't know what they were talking about. I'm cleared up now. Thanks.:cheers:

Mine is crazy deep on the racer 1 small button 8" easy

"My explanation was a bit misleading - detectors don't "see" Gaps but it was my on-the-spot explanation...
But they can "get in there" and "see to a certain extent" a GOOD item [ close to ] a junk one and SIGNAL the good item while ignoring the trash one.

I'm having brilliant Luck with the R2 w/OOR on in a trashy area that I have "trashed" for years.

One aspect of the OOR (small 4.5" original Red Racer's coil) is the TID's seem to flutter really fast compared with the NEW 5" small coil on the R2
I think there [ may be ] a slight change in the alogorithim's between the coil's recognition???
And, I PREFER the OOR on my R2 over the New 5"

Just my 2c worth...

Des D

Brian that OOR coil is surgical as it gets, I just received another as to this coil is going to have a cult following for those that realize what it can do. The 5" is way deeper than the OOR and almost seems for a lack of better words unteathered on the R2 in deep mode. Physics I don't know but these sure seem to defy the standard logic behind coil size and depth. I've worn out some places with the 5" coil then put the OOR on and dug some more in the same spot, all involved with trash. I think the big thing with most not getting any depth is they don't know what to listen for or better yet they rely on numbers way to much. Both come into play most of the time but the blending is what confuses a lot of the new users.
Cal_Cobra said:
Lot of variables to factor in, but in order to achieve maximum depth you need to have minimal to no EMI and maximum gain. I have dug 8-9" (measured) coins with my OOR RC13 DD 13 cm x 12 cm (5"x4.5") coil on my Racer1. I don't have (or see the need to obtain) the new 5" coil that came out with the Racer2, but it's possible it may not be as deep as the OOR coil?

Also I believe that a coil can go no deeper then it's width is purely urban legend, I've dug plenty of targets that were far deeper then the width of the coil. What's the logic (or physics) to support such a claim?

hh,
Brian

I was thinking about picking up another OOR coil before they go the way of the Bigfoot!

So you feel the new 5" coil is different enough to have in addition to the OOR eh? Might have to try one if it's even deeper then the OOR.

HH,
Brian

JFlynn said:
Brian that OOR coil is surgical as it gets, I just received another as to this coil is going to have a cult following for those that realize what it can do. The 5" is way deeper than the OOR and almost seems for a lack of better words unteathered on the R2 in deep mode. Physics I don't know but these sure seem to defy the standard logic behind coil size and depth. I've worn out some places with the 5" coil then put the OOR on and dug some more in the same spot, all involved with trash. I think the big thing with most not getting any depth is they don't know what to listen for or better yet they rely on numbers way to much. Both come into play most of the time but the blending is what confuses a lot of the new users.
Cal_Cobra said:

hh,
Brian

I'm no professional but I saw Kieth southern video high mineralization and if you turn your iSat up the mineralization bars will go from high to low. His ground was steadily at 4-5 bars on that but when he turned the iSat up the bars went down to one.
Not sure if that's the issue but wouldn't hurt to try.

Doctorcoinz said:
Depth on a coin is Approx limited to the size of the coil. 5 inch coil = 5 inches on a coin. 8 inch coil = 8 inches depth on a coin. This is a rough rule of thumb guide. ..Unless a detector genius can prove otherwise.
I have always heard that a coil would get about 30% of its diameter.

SkiWhiz said:
I always heard that a coil would get about 30% of its diameter.
If that were the case we would only get 1½" on a 5" coil, 2.[size=small]4[/size]" from an 8" coil, and just 3" from a 10" coil.

Naturally achievable and hearable depth of detection will depend upon the settings used, the search coil sweep speed, the intensity and challenges from some 'bad ground' conditions, the size and type of search coil, winding size and placement, etc.

While I have had some search coils that I have considered to be weak performers, I have never experienced such a suggestion with convincing results, although I have had some search coils that were terrible. In 'average' or 'favorable' ground, most of the smaller-to-mid sized search coils seem to get very close depth to their physical diameter, although some can vary from that 'best guess' measurement. I have pulled coins with the Racer 2, using either the 'OOR' DD coil or the current 5½" round-shaped DD coil from 6" to 7½" often, and those are increases of 20% to 50% od the search coil's physical diameter.

Monte

OK,can someone with both the 5" r2 coil and the OOR red racer coil comment on the differences while in use on the r2?
If I have the 5 do I need the OOR? Or better yet should I have just bought the standard pack and the OOR separately? Lol
I have the 5 r2 on the way with my r2 pro pack but seems many are saying the OOR is better. Just curious how and why.
Thanks!!

I've been using both the Racer and Racer 2 since they came out. Been using both the OOR and the 5.5" round coils since they came out also. Honestly I can't really tell the difference between the two. I think there is a psychological difference (at least for me) when using them in that you feel like you're getting better coverage with the 5.5" and you feel like you're getting better separation with the OOR. In actual side by side testing, and actual field use I think the results are the same. I just recently picked up the Cors Shrew coil 3.5" X 6.5" because sometimes I want a little more coverage than the 5" Makro coils. AIr test results here: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?102,2300993