Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5 Silvers in The Gravel

miserman

Today I hunted a 1903 one room school house in the country that has been converted into a grange hall. I tried hunting the side yard first but it had about 3 inches of dirt on top of a 4 inch layer of limestone gravel and rocks. I didn't hunt this gravel area very long because the digging was just too hard. I then went to the front yard area where it had nice black dirt, and in 2 hours of hunting I found two Indian Heads and one green early date Wheat Penny. They were about 6 inches deep and the 1866 Indian Head gave a VDI reading of 57. Before leaving I decided to give the graveled area another try and soon began finding coins that were about 7 inches down below and mixed in with the limestone rocks. The digging was hard but after I started finding the silver I didn't mind the extra effort that was required to get to the coins. I dug a total of 10 coins in the gravel with 5 of them being silver. The Wheats were from the 40's and 50's and the silvers were from 1943 to 1960. I feel that at sometime in the 60's limestone was put in this area for parking and then later on fill dirt was added for growing grass. I'm sure there are older coins in this area but they are probably 10"-12" down under the gravel and rocks. .... Thanks for looking.
000_9471.JPG

Last edited:
You did well today

Silver is always good no matter how it comes. Good hunting and digging. Love those green Indians. HH jim tn

Location is definitely the key to finding silver, nice job miserman in staying tough in that gravel. I can remember several times giving up in gravel after just a couple digs, seems like to get a simple five to six inch hole it would take ten to fifteen minutes but like you if I hit silver it seems easy.
We've got our sights set on some heavy brush on our next hunt, we're thinking nobody would work this stuff and possibly at some point back in time it wasn't brush.

2 Indian heads and 5 silver coins, that's a lot of great finds for one day. I'd go back there often ! Is the place heavily littered with junk metal ? Maybe a smaller coil could uncover more targets that are masked.

Way to persevere under some really harsh conditions! Do like dfmike’s suggestion regarding smaller coil. Bet a lot of us wish we could of been there with you! Great hunting and good luck next time (I know I’d be going back!).

Nice haul.

I had a toughy the other day. A 53 Rosie under about 2" of well tamped Item 4.

Trailduster said:
Nice haul.

I had a toughy the other day. A 53 Rosie under about 2" of well tamped Item 4.
Tough digging but worth it. Congratulations on the silver