Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

505 notching for gold rings

cal

I saw on you tube a guy that was notching out square pull tabs and pull tabs using a xt 705 to hunt gold rings. Will this system work the same on a xt 505 or does the 3 segments per number compared to 2 segments per number on the 705 change the game. I have always been interested in the 505, but haven't tried one yet. Thanks

If you notch out pull tabs you will miss some gold.

yes I understand that you will miss some gold, I am asking will the 505 work the same as 705 the using this strategy.

What 7CW was politely trying to say is that it's a poor strategy, and he's right.
It's a topic that's been discussed here before. Check THIS thread out, and be sure to read both pages.

I believe what is being discussed is Gerry's video. He is the owner of a metal detector business, makes very good videos and is a very experienced hunter (IMHO). He does a lot of Nevada gold classes and has an impressive array of finds. In his video he presents a large number of gold rings grouped by their various ID ranges and shows how few you'll miss if you notch out the square tabs. Yes you will miss a few rings, but will the time lost chasing tabs cost you more rings? That is the issue. If you are digging a ton of square tabs it could be a winning strategy. Otherwise, hunt wide open and not risk missing those few rings. To answer the original question would the difference in 505 and 705 notch width matter, I'd say very little. It is a calculated risk that the fine features of the X-Terra make available that very few other machines could offer.

Thanks to all of you for your help. The video I saw was from Gerry's Detectors and the two page discussion is very interesting. The discussion did create more questions on coils for me as I have had some different TI on different coils such as NELS compared to stock. Thanks again for your help!

i find this weekend a another gallic silver coin, very small, if i had notch out the pull tab, i didn't find it. The id was 12, so go in all metal that is the best way