Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

.54 Rimfire anyone?

Orion42

Me and my detecting buddy hit an untouched homestead site this morning and I came across a .54 cal. rimfire case. Having a hard time finding any solid info on it. Does anyone have any information? It's .540 ID and .903 overall length. I found a few references to a civil war round. Thanks.

John

When in doubt, here's the book of books! http://www.amazon.com/Cartridges-World-11th-Frank-Barnes/dp/0896892972

I grew up in a sporting goods store in Kansas City, MO. Up until a couple of years ago, I was doing much more reloading, varmint hunting, and plinking as I was detecting. Although I never collected old ammo, I know a lot of folks who do. A .54 cal. rim fire is a rare cartridge, but really not worth very much. Perhaps a buck or two to a real collector, based on the condition. Since it is at least 90 years old, that's all it is good for. However..... The one thing to remember about old cartridges, you cannot rely on them being 100% inert. While they might not have the power they once did, they can still maim! So treat them with the same respect they used to have, when they were loaded into a firearm pointed at you!

Alan Applegate

Thanks Alan. It's just the empty case but in good condition. One for the artifact shelf I guess.

John

I found what seemed to be .50 cal rimfire casing near here at a site that dates to around 1880-1890. It was a common round for a rolling block pistol and was made for many years. Might be yours was fired from a similar weapon?

-Ed