Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

58 Rimfire case?

grumpy

Got a ? if I may; Im not up on civil war stuff I usually hunt way to far west to be concerned;
However I have a cartridge case question; I found a couple of 58 rimfire cartridge cases; 58-60-500 for the 1865 Springfield. they are rough cases and not special at all but what i was wondering is how common a find are these cases??

Also can anyone tell me the name of the ignition system that is a rimfire combustion system but the firepin placement is in the center of the case making just a small dimple in the case Not using a primer ? dont think i ever heard of the name of this type system.???

Thanks for the help
Grumpy

Grumpy, I believe your shell case will be an example of a "Benet primed" case. The U.S. Army used them on their converted Springfield rifles 50/70 from 1866-73. Of course there are numerous civilian models of varying calibers also. Hope this helps. Txquest PS. I believe the early 1870's Army 45/55 and 45/70 also used the "Benet Primer".

Thanks Tx;

On the old 58 60 500 rimfire do you have any idea of how rare they are?? Or a good reference book??
I been a gunsmith for 40 years but never bothered to look into these old old ammo and their proper names and components. I found one case out of a double firing pin winchester (rimfire) there have been lots of variables in firearms in the past especially around the civil war.
Thanks again and any other info appreciated too
Grumpy