Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

58 Targets Sampled

Charles (Upstate NY)

I sampled a bunch of targets to get some idea how the Deus ID's various targets. Here are the results and observations...

Observations - The Deus gives you a solid pretty reliable target ID up to a certain depth, then poof for most targets no ID at all, it won't even guess even though the tone is still quite good for a few more inches. On a select few targets I saw the TID drop quite a bit before TID cut out which is what I was expecting, but those were exceptions to the rule. The Deus is scary deep in air tests vs Explorer SE Pro air tests, it also hits well on coins on edge, this will need some further testing but I am so far impressed. I was using the factory 8kHz, 5Gmax program. All nickels tested the same, V nickels, earlier Jefferson nickels, modern nickels (sound different on Explorer SE Pro) even a 1943-D silver war nickel sounded and ID the same. Seemed really good on small silver targets even at 8kHz. Some differences, large Cents and colonials on the Explorer SE Pro ID/Sound higher than clad or silver quarters, very distinct sound, on the Deus they are all about the same.

sample1.jpg

sample2.jpg

sample3.jpg

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
No the factory default was 8kHz.

You sure about that??

You may have been in 8khz,,but under option, configuration, profile,,,,normalization default is ON,,,the reason for all your high readings and less spacing Vdi wise of your targets.
Select Vdi normalization OFF, resweep your targets using 8khz,,,big difference in what you'll get.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2100203

Btw your HF coil,,,will not give you option to normalize Vdi like the LF coils do.

Yes 8kHz and yes normalization was on. Correct no normalization for the HF coil its clearly stated on Deus web site. I'll retest with normalization off, and retest again once the HF coil arrives. My short hunt in bone dry soil produced 3 dimes, 1 nickel, 1 square tab, 2 crown caps. Just getting a feel for the machine.

According to one man, the reason he hunts gold rings with normalization on is so that, as he changes frequencies to hunt for the gold rings, he doesn't have to relearn all the numbers associated with the different rings.

I realize this is an unreasonable request, but it would be nice to see what those numbers would be like if each item was buried in about 7 inches
of his specific soil. I wound if the ground conditions would skew the numbers a little. It might not. But am curious if it would.

Maybe a sampling of the silver and copper coins would suffice?

What do you think. Do you think the numbers would change from his air tests?

Tony N (Michigan) said:
I realize this is an unreasonable request, but it would be nice to see what those numbers would be like if each item was buried in about 7 inches
of his specific soil. I wound if the ground conditions would skew the numbers a little. It might not. But am curious if it would.

Using Reactivty 2 and 2.5 using 11" coil very high chance of mimicking airtest Vdi. Solo sitting coin.
Using Recactivty 1,2 or 2.5 using 9" LF coil a good chance of mimicking g Vdi. Solo sitting coin.
With 1 and 2 reactivity settings being odds on favorites.

Now coin tilted somewhat, this could degrade chance of ideal Vdi displayed.

Also, freq used can be a player.

Nickle higher chances using 12 and 18khz.
Silver being 4,8 and maybe 12 kHz.

But remember,,highest freq using Deus offers more separation capabilities.
Using 4 or 8 kHz a good coin near iron could be missed.

The above applies to medium mineralization and lower.
In higher mineralization,,,this 7" depth could drop to 4-5" depth very easily.
Lower mineralization this ideal Vdi reading on coins likely could be extended to the 8" depth Mark,,especially on penny sized, nickle sized and quarter sized coins.

squirrel1 said:
Now coin tilted somewhat, this could degrade chance of ideal Vdi displayed.

I've noticed that. I've surprised myself a couple times. Not perfect numbers but digging on sound helped me to decide to dig some silvers.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
According to one man, the reason he hunts gold rings with normalization on is so that, as he changes frequencies to hunt for the gold rings, he doesn't have to relearn all the numbers associated with the different rings.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Gold rings ID as low as foil, as high as a clad quarter, and every point in-between hence there are no numbers associated with gold rings. Tone can be helpful, shape as you sweep a target, but target ID is out the window on gold rings. 9k, 10k, 14k, 18k, 20k, diameter, thickness, they are pretty much infinitely variable.

Tony N (Michigan) said:

In my hunt yesterday the nickel hit a bit lower than the air test. Clad dimes were spot on but shallow. I always consider ID variable, depth, mineralization, nearby iron and trash, and target condition can throw this off. If an air test says nickels ID at 63 I'll dig a nickel window 58-65 until actual targets dug prove this window is too wide then I may narrow it. Even on the Explorer a severely corroded nickel can jump way over to crown caps, this is why I have never used numerical TID, I always used the Explorer X,Y screen and watched cursor bounce patterns.

Charles (Upstate NY) said:
Tony N (Michigan) said:

In my hunt yesterday the nickel hit a bit lower than the air test. Clad dimes were spot on but shallow. I always consider ID variable, depth, mineralization, nearby iron and trash, and target condition can throw this off. If an air test says nickels ID at 63 I'll dig a nickel window 58-65 until actual targets dug prove this window is too wide then I may narrow it. Even on the Explorer a severely corroded nickel can jump way over to crown caps, this is why I have never used numerical TID, I always used the Explorer X,Y screen and watched cursor bounce patterns.

That is my same experience with the Explorer.

He has the rings to prove his assertions.
He showed the basic numbers on a lot of varying gold rings.
With normalization ON, the numbers remain the same in whatever
LF frequency you want to use. This way he doesn't have to remember
different numbers as the kHz is changed.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
He has the rings to prove his assertions.
He showed the basic numbers on a lot of varying gold rings.
With normalization ON, the numbers remain the same in whatever
LF frequency you want to use. This way he doesn't have to remember
different numbers as the kHz is changed.

Then he hasn't dug enough gold rings lol. Using the Explorer as an example gold rings start at foil, half the cursor off the bottom of the screen out of sight. They vary a bit left and right, then as the ring size, weight, and/or karat increases they begin creeping up the screen toward nickel. About 1/4 to 3/4 between foil and nickel you encounter platinum rings, but gold can still ID in that range. Around nickel/pull tab there is a higher concentration of gold rings, then again as the size/weight/karat increases gold rings rise above nickel and continue climbing up the screen toward zinc cent, they can ID anywhere in that range though generally ID a bit left of lead. The zinc area is typically where you will find larger class rings, 10k typically. From there even larger gold rings, and typically higher karat 14k to 18k can get over near clad quarter.

Now its perfectly fine to concentrate on a subset of gold rings, playing the odds. Beach hunting is a really different animal vs hunting in the dirt inland. First its a timed hunt, typically 4 hours 2 hours before low tide to 2 hours after low tide. Energy is also limited, it can be exhausting vs inland hunting. When I first started beach hunting I dug everything, because everyone else was digging everything. After a couple years of this I wised up.

I stopped digging cents and clad dimes (and even quarters at times) The gold to cents ratio is abysmally poor, yes big chunky class rings ID as zinc cents but its hundreds to 1 even 1000 to 1. I decided it wasn't worth it. I saved so much time and energy that my gold finds increased dramatically by just concentrating on potential gold signals and leaving the clad to others hunters. I gave up some potential gold, but dug much more gold.

It must be he plays the odds in his favor rather than dig everything to find a gold ring. He has oodles of them. He detects by a specific set of numbers.
I used to find a lot of gold rings with my Explorer XS. Since moving on to the Explorer SE my finding gold went into the crapper rather quickly.
Of course it could just be a coincidink that my coil just didn't get over a gold ring when I changed detectors.
Believe it or not but I had great luck finding gold with my DMCIIb. I know how to set it up.
And I have not had my Deus long enough to say whether or not it sucks at gold rings or not. Time will tell.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say most of us Deus users haven't used an "Explorer" so it's hard to compare. I would love to stick with what the Deus does :)