Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

5x8 coil on AT PRO

JOHNMARKHAM

OK I need some info here, I just started to hunt again after a year or so,
I got the new 5x8 coil for my AT PRO and went out last night to a place that's got lots of trash, I did score some clad for an hour hunt,
I'm wanting to get the best out of this AT PRO,
So what's some of the settings you guys are using in clay soil ?
Mainly for coins and buttons right now,
Can anyone share there settings
Thanks
John

I hunt pro zero mode Iron set at 35 and use the 5x8 in trashy areas and I also set my sens at about 4 marks below top if I am hunting a park or such if a old place I run sens as High as I can stand the chatter the 5x8 does not seem to get the depth the stock coil gets but it does great in my soil to about 7 inches after that it kinda iffy

Just keep in mind you lose depth with the 5x8 coil. Hunting Saturday with my buddy and he had the standard coil on and I had the 5x8 coil. He got a faint dime signal
and called me over to check the target. I got nothing. He dug a Merc dime at about 8 inches.

Ok guys
Thanks for input!!
I'll try these settings tonight! I've found a sweet old spot with lots of trash and iron in it!
Last night I did manage to pull out a 1901 V nickel at about 8 inches, was a very faint signal !
So it confirmed to me I'm at a great site!
I'll keep you posted
Thanks
John
HH

Ok here's more questions I have;
How many times do you check the ground balance when your hunting a trashy spot ?
Do you change the freqs while hunting too ?

So I went back to my sweet spot that's really trashy
I hunted in pro zero at 35 and 4 bars from max on sens somtimes trying max it out but lots of ground chattering in spots,
I changed freqs a couple times trying to get it to run quieter,:
I went over the same strip that I went over last night and I picked up more coins I was missing, only 1 Wheatie tonight but more nickels that I had completly missed before
So I'm going back tommorrow night and go over same spot and see if I can hear the faint targets that should be deeper ones !

So another question;
Should I go back over with larger stock coil or same 5x8
Let me hear from you guys
HH
John

This go around I would go with the larger 11" coil. It will get you some depth that the 5x8 won't. HH jim tn

Big Boys Hobbies said:
Pro zero descrim set at 31. Be sure to use frequency shift and a proper ground balance!

Sorry about the hijack...... but, Bart, can you please expand on what you mean by using frequency shift ? I have only used it around power lines\electrical interference. Is there more to F.S. than that ?

If it's as trashy as you describe it I wouldn't attempt the larger coil, you won't be able to unmask good targets from the trash with the bigger coil.

Ok so I went to the same sweet spot and hunted in the same strip I've been hunting all week, so tonight I took the etrac over the same area , just way way to much noise for it on the settings I was trying( I'm still learning the etrac)falsed allot. !
So I went back and got ATPro and put larger stock coil , I did find. 9 more targets and they were deeper 6-8 inches ! So deeper than smaller coil,
Now I'll try samething with another strip and see what happens!
ATPro is giving me a good work out with all the digging I'm doing !!
HH
John

I only use my ATP with the 5x8 coil. Slow and steady on the beach and less drag in the creeks. Shocking amount of trash on the beach( foil, bottle caps, aluminum, wrappers and ketchup packets) but the coil cuts through it and I am still able to get the clad and tourist dropped goodies. On the beach I run sens. 3 notches down and grd balance when the chatter picks up or transitioning from dry to wet. I have only changed the freq setting at a local metal detecting club hunt. Lots of older coils swinging around and mine was able to stay focused on the hunt.