Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6.5 concentric coil for F75ltd

togg77

Hi guys a little info for a new F75ltd user:
1.How does the 6.5 concentric coil compare depth wise to the 5" DD
2." " " " " " " to pinpointing with the 5" DD
3.On 1&2 substitute 11" DD for 5"DD
4.Thanks for your help

I think the 6.5 is just a tad deeper than the 5".
I use it all the time but when hunting deep I think it needs to be run in boost mode or CL.
It seems to be for me the go to coil because I hunt in a pretty trashy area.
I have been trying do some clad stabbing kind on the line that mud talks about and I use the 6.5 for that as well, but there I run it in the de processor.
So for me all in all I like the little 6.5" over the 11"DD, but if I was running in pretty clean ground the 11" would be my choice.

Attached is a air test compare of my coils on my machine.

Ron in WV

I prefer the 6.5 inch concentric over the 5 inch DD for small coil situations with my F75-LTD. I can get closer to the reenforced concrete sidewalks and closer to goal posts and play-ground equipment with the 6.5 inch concentric than I can with the 5 inch. I didn't compare them side by side for depth.

As to depth compared to the 11" DD; depends entirely on conditions. If it is real trashy; even as well as the 11" DD separates, in trashy areas with multiple pieces of metal under the 11" DD at one time, it is hard to see the deeper pieces of metal until you remove the shallower ones. The smaller coil will let you work between targets and dig some of the deeper ones without removing all the surrounding targets first.

I hunt the LTD almost all the time in BP mode and generally run low discrimination or all-metal and watch the target ID numbers. Sensitivity set to be fairly quiet.
Cheers,
tvr

As for PP it has been so long since the last time I hunted the 5" I can't really compare. But if you use the PP mode on the detector and de-tune it your target will be in the center of the coil.

Most of the time I just leave it in disc and do short sweeps side to side and front and back and again the target is pretty much in the center of the coil. I also PP off the toe of the coil by short swinging over the target and then pull the coil back and your target will be close to the toe or tip of the coil.

Bottom line it will PP with no problems at all and if I remember the little 5" was pretty easy to PP with as well.

Ron in WV

This one is a little hard to explane, but I will give it a shot. The turm detuning came about it some of my older detectors bach 80s. I just checked the F75 manual on page 24 and it is referred to as Narrow it Down
From the manual
Narrow It Down
To further narrow the field of detection, position the searchcoil near the center of the
response pattern (but not at the exact center), release the trigger, and then pull it again.
Now you will only hear a response when the searchcoil is right over the top of the target.
Repeat this procedure to narrow the zone even further. Each time you repeat the
procedure, the field of detection will narrow further.

Detuning is only used when pinpointing and using the all metal PP mode. So if you are trying to locate a target and pull the toggle with the coil off to one side of the target and sweep over you will get a large signal about the size of the coil. Now want to get a better PP just release the toggle with the coil close to the the target area and pull it again and your detector will detune and now when sweeping over the target it will give you shorter signal closer to the center of the coil.

If you haven't tried this you may want practice a little in your yard, once you get a feel for it then try it on a couple of real targets. With the little coils this method is not needed as much as is with the big coils.

Let me know if this helped or confused you.

Ron in WV

Hi Ron, thanks for the info and a reminder to read and reread the instructions. I recalled reading the "narrow down" suggestion,but of course I had forgotten, even though I had it underlined. Your suggestions are Very helpful,but they do show one how confused one may be. Thanks again. Gene

Here is another chart that better shows what happens with depth and disc settings in each mode, the one above shows some of that but was more in line coils and depth.

Notice some modes gain, some loose, and some are the same.

Ron in WV

your sensitive chart

This is my last chart that I could find and the testing was done with std F75 not the Ltd model. I didn't do the same swing speed test on my new Ltd like I thought I had.

Enjoy,

Ron in WV

Thanks Ron, your charts give me a great starting point as to what to expect from various coils and settings under controlled conditions.

I have noticed that from time to time this little 6.5" elliptical has been referred to as a 6.5" x 4" or even a 6"x4". Just for kicks I measured mine last night and it comes in at 6.5 x 3.25", I know that is only .75" less on the width, but if you are hunting in a trashy area it is a big deal.

So for me the little elliptical compared to the 5"DD, they both air test about the same depth, the length at 6.5" gives better ground coverage and the width at 3.25" is a lot better in the trash.

Ron in WV

Ron are there 2 different 6.5 coils--an elliptical and a round? I know Fisher has the 6.5 round,but where did you get the elliptical 6.5 ?

I know of no Fisher 6.5" round coil for the f75/f70 detectors.You can still get the 6.5 elliptical new from most any Fisher dealer. I got mine used from a form member. Could be you heard some talk about it being a concentric coil and when some think concentric they think it means round. So here the 6.5" elliptical is the shape of the coil and it is a concentric, which is way it is constructed.

Not sure I answered your question, but I took a shot at it.

Ron in WV

Getting caught up on reading ...

Referring to the sweep speed chart done by Ron with the standard F75, I've found the same observation to be true of the F75LTD except when in either BP or CL mode. In all modes except BP or CL, it likes a fairly fast sweep speed to get best depth and ID. In BP it seems to do best with a more relaxed sweep speed and in CL it likes to be slowed down a good bit. Hunting in trash, it is hard to sweep fast and isolate targets. I pretty much stay in BP mode.
Cheers,
tvr

Ron and TVR: thanks for the input and Ron I finally realized that "concentric" doesn't necessarily mean round.
TVR that is good info on swing speed because in my previous life I never liked the "switching" swing. Only us oldsters remember what a "switching" was.