Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

600 dry sand depth is amazing

Hotrod65

I've had my new 600 out to the beach a couple times now and I am completely amazed at the depth of this machine. I am running Beach mode 1 all default settings, but using a WM08 from my son's 800 that he does not use and the wired headphones that came with the 600. I am in Southern CA where the beach sand is heavily mineralized, in fact I had a previous Whites Beach Hunter for a short period that was challenged by all the iron laden sand.

Anyway I have been hunting a popular beach in our area that I have hit so many times before and seen many other detectorists in the same spot (even posting on Youtube). In about an hour I pulled $4+ in change out of what I thought was a hunted out area. Nothing real old but many coins dated in the 60's and 70's that appear to have been there a long time. What stood out for me was how deep I was getting targets. I learned that digging the faintest of signals, especially the higher pitch ones, resulted in coins routinely 12" deep and some closer to 15". The challenge I ran into was that my small 4" aluminum scoop simply could not dig that deep so I was down on my hands and knees digging as when you get that deep the sand is very compacted and damp. That really slowed me down not to mention killed my back.

I am trying to learn what the machine was telling me so I was digging all targets to see what they were. The most frequent targets were old rusty bottle caps, especially the Corona ones that produce a fairly solid tone, lots of pull tabs, and I can't believe how many tent stakes I found. Several strong good signals turned out to be buried beer cans one was easily 18" down.

So I purchased a new 12" x 6" stainless sand scoop with the pointed nose that makes all the difference in recovering these deep targets. I've never previously owned a Minelab as I was a Whites guy with my favorite being an old Eagle II SL so I have nothing modern to compare against but I am quite pleased with the simplicity of use, light weight, and performance of the Equinox.....I'm happy!

Next step is to start searching in the water, can't wait. Thanks to the Equinox community on this forum for all the info, it has been very helpful.

Neutral dry sand is just like air no real test at all for the Nox so if your sand is mineralized you are getting great performance from the Nox

Great to read that you had an awesome time with the 600. As soon as I’m no longer sick from this cold my wife gave me, I’ll hit the SoCal beaches with my Equinox.
Best of luck!

Hope you get well soon, the warm sun on the beach I assure you can help any sickness! Have to ask, based on your user name are you in the Bolsa Chica area?