Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

6x8 SEF

Rob (IL)

I was wondering if anyone is using the 6x8 SEF and how did they like it? I tried one over a year ago but couldn't run my RX at higher gains. I'd like to get a used one in case it acts the same as the last one. Maybe they are better now.

If you are using one what kind of RX can you run and with what signal%? Maybe I'll post for a used one on the classifieds after I hear from some of you.

[attachment 268846 greatday.jpg]

2 days ago I managed to get a second hand 6x8 SEF....Took it out for a quick check today on my V3i before I pay for the coil....Air test settings RX 15, AC 65, DISC 85, did not overload, turned on TX boost still no overload...(geeeeez it looks like a good one)...

Found a clean spot & got a good ground balance, left the V3i in the above settings & did the usual sens/probe & ground trac/probe checks...(Type of ground Woodland) Readings as follows...

Ground Trac Probe....Phase -92, Strength 0.9% (av over three freq).... Sensitivity Probe.....Loss 17.1%, Noise 1.9%.... (RX 15, AC 65, DISC 85)....I also found that the SEF 6x8 air tested better than the whites 6x10 coil, not yet had a chance to check any in ground depth checks yet....

Hope that Helps....Regards Bob..

You sure are right, you have a good one. The 17% signal at RX 15 is just great.
Thanks. Want to sell it? :rofl:

Rob (IL) said:

Thank's hope you find one just like mine, good luck...:thumbup:

Rob (IL) said:

That is good at RX15. Mine likely was like that when I got it because it ran TX15 with TX Boost on when new. It will only do gain of 9 w/boost and signal loss to get even 20 requires TX down to 6. I never checked signal loss on the 8x6 though in all this time until now. I also am finding all my coils except for the 4x6 Shooter aren't handling signal noise as well as they used to, so every coil I own that's gone through 1-2 summers in the trunk during hunts here in Texas, may have taken some stress. Surely not. Coils should be manufactured with moderate extremes in temp swings, right?

I will still install and use the 8x6 by choice, and certainly before I would consider the 6x10DD. My 6x10 is my oldest coil in the quiver, it passes RX15 w/o boost just fine. It has simply never performed. It's fine on the M6 though.

Yea, that's a great coil getting 17% @ 15. Keep it cool is my advice. Is it the black one? martin

Yes keeping them in a trunk is a sure formula for disaster. Ask your buddy George (Fox). It will cause a null shift. Trunk temperatures in Texas are extreme.

Hi Martin,

My 6x8 Sef is a black one, talking about temp's I also have the White 10x12 Sef coil... Going back about 5 months ago we had a bit of snow & was followed by some freezing temp's... I took a chance & went out with the V3i my 10x12 Sef got part covered in frozen snow, the coil started to overload at RX12....Went home cleaned the snow/ice from the coil but it still overloaded @ RX12, I tried the coil again a few weeks later (warmer temp's) & it was ok at RX15 & is still ok today....Looks like these Sef coils need to be looked after in extreme weather changes...

Regards Bob...

I've had my 8x6 SEF for about 2 yrs. I can get the readings that Napper gets as long as i'm using 2.5 single frequency. At 7.5 frequency I have to lower my Rx to about 13 and 22.5 frequency Rx about 8. In 3 frequency Rx 9 is about as high as I can go before overload unless i disconnect my DX-1 and run the coil straght into my box then i can get RX at 11. The 22.5 frequency is the downfall with my 8x6. For some strange reason in a few certain areas I can run higher gains without overload though, mineralization or emi ?? don't know why. Can run Disc Sen 90-94 no problem. All in all I like the coil, it will go deep especially in 2.5 and 7.5 single frequency, 10 inch deep quarter in my test garden, no problem.

Possible RX gained varied on the earlier SEF for sure. Some were great and some not so much. As far as the heat factor notice the SEF optimized for the V3i are White.