Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

7" widescan or 12x10 widescan

I have the opportunity to purchase my first widescan coil with change pulled entirely from the ground, but will only have enough to purchase either the 7" or the 12x10 widescan coil. Now you guys know how hard we work to pull that much change from the ground. Been saving my pennies and now I have them burning a hole in my pocket. So please chime in and let me know some pros cons to each coil. I will be using the coil on the bandido II and Eldorado Umax. Thanks in advance for any bits of wisdom you can share. HH

You mention the 2 options of the coils that you are interested in and also the detector it will be used on,but you have left out one vital piece of imformation and that is what do you plan on using it for ie like just park coin shooting or prehaps deeper relic type hunting.

As the sizes of those 2 coils are poles apart size wise ??? a bit more information and you would get alot more suggestions i feel.

Hmm....my 8" round was right in between, It would seem the bigger coil would make swinging bottom heavy, and the 7" would be better for trash. Me, I would go the 7" since I am a coin and jewelry hunter. The bigger would be better for relics, if you hunt them. Small coils like the 5.75 seem to be killer on Tesoro's. I would think the 7" is no different.

Just my pennies worth.

I have the 12X10 that came in the Outlaw package, used it one time last year hunting on pasture. It has one use for me and my style of hunting, wide open expanse of land to cover. I used the big DD with success hunting for old bullets in an area of several acres, it would not be my choice for trashy areas. I plan on using it some on plowed land in search of relics and coins, this is where this coil shines. When I am hunting at old home sites I require better separation and discrimination, the big DD loves chunky iron, not a bad trait in open field where the possibility of weapons could be found, Just not good for hunting iron infested homestead yards. Oh, almost forgot to add that most important trait, Depth, it will signal on coin size objects to at least 8" deep, I found a .44/40 lead bullet at that depth with it.

Thanks for the info. Right now I think I will go with the 7 inch. I don't have as much time to detect right now. So I will look at the larger coil in the future. I am more a coin and jewelry hunter right now in parks and schools. I appreciate all your input. Been detecting four years now and this site and the Tesoro forum are the best. Now to wait for it to get here. Oh the agony of having to wait. HH

I like the big widescan coil for coverage. For trashy areas and where lots of iron exists I stick to the smaller to medium concentrics for better separation. I tried the 7" widescan for a while and sold it off because the 7" concentric worked just as well or better. The smaller widescans don't suit my hunting situations all that well and for when I just need raw coverage the 10x12 is great.

In spite of the fact that when if first started detecting I had the "bigger must be better" fever, I've since found that I have a lot more need and use of smaller coils. The 7" concentric and DD both are often on one or another of my detectors. The large coils are heavy to swing and really only well suited to covering large, relativey clean areas IMO.
BB