Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

705 AIR TEST; with 3 coils & 3 sensitivity settings

terryj

i was a little curious and thought some of you might me also.
was surprised on the increase of dept on the 9.5" coil in prospecting.
of course readings will be different in soil.
wish i had a 10.5" 7.5" khz dd to compare.

Size does make a BIG difference in depth, but it is also well known that Prospecting Mode punches deeper too.

Ok guys, question. I have the 705 with the stock coil. Again, I am just a coin hunter, I will take rings and such also, but mostly old coins. If I hunt in the prospecting mode with the stock coil, what would I be giving up or missing? If I hunt in Coin Mode, pattern 1 or 4 , 4 tones, etc.?
Thanks for any and all replies.

Hunting in Prospector Mode you would be giving up TID and the ability to knock out any non-ferrous metal.
Hunting in a Disc pattern with anything notched out you stand to miss whatever is also in the notch, as well as the very deepest finds.
Hunting with 4 tones you have to rely on the VID more, whereas in multi-tone (2:geek: you have a tone for each target segment.

Thanks Longhair. Am I correct to say that you mostly hunt in Prospecting or All Metals? If I am in 4 tones, you would still hear everything, BUT different tones from Multi? The detector would see the target lets say, but the tone may be different? Am I correct in saying this?

ewcoinhunter said:
Thanks Longhair. Am I correct to say that you mostly hunt in Prospecting or All Metals?
I primarily hunt in AM or Disc mode w/nothing notched out.
Prospector Mode is something that I save for reasonably clean sites, or iron infested sites where I'm going to dig all non-ferrous targets anyway.

ewcoinhunter said:
If I am in 4 tones, you would still hear everything, BUT different tones from Multi? The detector would see the target lets say, but the tone may be different? Am I correct in saying this?
You are correct.

Longhair, one more question. If I am in Coin Mode in Pattern 2 and I notch everything out, what am I gaining from Pattern 1 or Pattern 4? I am aware that most of the notched out segments are ferrous targets, and as far as 48, I do not know what that number represents. Sorry for all the questions.

The answers to that are most easily found here.

Notch Discrimination on the X-TERRA - Ever wonder what you're missing? Part 1
http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/notch-discrimination-on-the-x-terra-ever-wonder-what-you-re-missing-part-1

Notch Discrimination on the X-TERRA - Ever wonder what you're missing? Part 2
http://www.minelab.com/usa/treasure-talk/notch-discrimination-on-the-x-terra-ever-wonder-what-you-re-missing-part-2

I don't have the digger coil but do have the stock 9" and the minelab 6" hi freq coil. It looks like the differences in the test between the digger coil and the minelab 6" coil can be attributed to the frequencies and the types(concentric vs widescan).
I also have the 10.5" med freq coil and that's a really sweet coil for coverage/depth and sensitivity. That's an old Explorer style coil, would really like to see minelab make the pro coil like on the Etrac for the Xterra series....that's a definite weight/balance improvement.
Thanks for the testing!

Neil, the 6" Minelab HF and the Coiltek 6" LF "Digger" are both DD coils. The Minelab 6" MF is the only small concentric.

And I don't see much similarity between the old 8" Explorer coil and the 10/5" Xterra coil, nor do I think that there's much difference in weight between the 10.5" Xterra coil and the FBS 11" Pro coil.

XTERRA-10-INCH-DD_218x218.jpg
Minelab-small-Explorer-coil_217x194.jpg
Minelab-Pro-Coil_212x201.jpg

Thanks for the info on that digger coil. I thought it was a concentric coil.

I just weighed the two coils(10.5 med freq and a pro coil) and they are only about 1.4 ozs difference. It sure feels like more than that, I would guess its the center mount on the pro coil versus the off center mount on the 10.5 med freq that makes it feel that way. Center mount really helps on balance/feel. I like the 10.5 med freq the best so far, for my hunting, but its definetly front heavy.

When I mentioned the old explorer coil, I was referring to the one that came stock on the older Explorers(XS and EXII). That's the same housing as the 10.5 med freq xterra coil. I never mentioned the 8" explorer coil..

Do you have any idea if minelab is planning on releasing any new xterra coils or has that been turned over to coiltek?

That 10.5" coil would feel better to you if you turn it around. The center mount IS better for balance, but turning it around is the next best thing.

I have an old Explorer 8" coil on my SE right now (not the FBS800) and it looks just like the 800. The Slimline 10" Explorer coils were lighter, but they are also about the poorest coils ever made for those machines. If you want a Slimline I'll make you a heck of a deal on one. :lol:

As far as I know, Minelab is done developing new Xterra coils, and anything new will likely come from Coiltek. We've mentioned to Trevor that there are a few items for Xterras that we'd like to see, and I'm about to step up my badgering on a couple of them. Time will tell, but at least we now have four new Xterra coils from Coiltek, and a good possibility of more in the future.

Would like to hear what kinda stuff your lobbying for. Coiltek makes fine coils, Im gonna have to look into what they are making for the Xterras.

Ive got plenty of coils for my etrac. The X8 has been on it the most but the stock pro coil and the 12X10SEF are my larger favorites......no need for the slimline:beers:

I find those numbers very interesting. Why would you always be getting more depth in the discriminate mode with 0 disc vs All Metal mode using the same coil. I thought purely all metal gave the best depth??