Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

705 finds colonial gold in farm field

SteveP(NH)

I spend most of my time relic hunting and so don't expect to find a lot of jewelry. I was hunting on a farm that was cleared in 1720 or so 2 weekends ago, about 1/2 a mile away from any existing buildings or roads and found this gold chain. I've spent the last couple of weeks researching the marks on it and they lead me to believe that it was made in or near Birmingham, England in 1773. I cut one of the links off and found the chain was hollow but the metal part was all gold so I am pretty sure it was jewelry that was just for show and not meant to take any stress, such as bridle chain from some fancy tack. Doesn't have any sign of a clasp or any other way to fasten it together on either end. Seems odd to find it in this field where I have only found farm working relics such as harness buckles, metal buttons, pieces of broken farm equipment, etc. I have found a couple British Georgian coins, some Indian cents, couple of merc, a few Rosies and a standing liberty quarter but mostly just working stuff.

The chain was 9 or 10 inches deep (showed all depth arrows lit up) and was a solid and consistent 14 on the meter in both search and pinpoint modes. It shows a fair amount of wear where the links rub on each other so I think it was used for a while before it was lost. The current landowner's family has held the land for about 80 years and they have no stories of anyone losing a gold chain in that field or any other on this 75 acre farm. BTW the picture of the whole chain still shows some dirt on the chain and so it looks kind of dull in places, I cleaned it up better after taking that picture and before the close up so the close up is a better picture of what the surface really looks like.

Nice find . I bet the old heart was a pounding when you pulled it out.

Wow realy neat find...any idea what the wt of the chain is or what kt?

Dan-Pa. said:
Again a 14 reading includes many goodies not just your pulltab collection and my wedding band..

I see it .. I see it.

Dang nice find there Steve.
Ya just never know what you will find or where you will find it.

Willee

It weighs 17 grams, not really sure about the purity of the metal as I could only find the hallmarks for what I believe is the Birmingham Assay office and the date code for 1773.

Congrats on that awesome find! I really like that you have been able to trace the maker. Very good hunt, Beale.

Nice find. What coil were you using?

n/t

I had started that day with the LF 9" concentric but was picking up some interference if I cranked the sensitivity above 15 so by the time I found the chain I had switched to the MF 9" stock coil which I could run at 27 sensitivity.

My LF coil seems to be pretty noisy the last couple of times I have used it. I am planning on taking it another location and see if it is still as noisy and if so I might send it Minelab for a check.

S