Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

705 notching trash

TN Mike

Is the 705 quiet at notching out trash? I like to hunt thick trashy parks and need a machine that can notch quietly.. clicks and pops from the Racer 2 are killing me..

The Xterra is all digital, so there are no clicks or pops. It just nulls when over notched ranges as it should. Being a threshold based machine you'll hear the threshold drop out, and that's all.

Old Longhair said:
The Xterra is all digital, so there are no clicks or pops. It just nulls when over notched ranges as it should. Being a threshold based machine you'll hear the threshold drop out, and that's all.

Does the 705 have a constant running threshold hum? I thought it was silent in disc mode.

undrpar said:
you can turn the threshold volume to 0 and you won't hear it anymore..

Awesome thanks.. Nice to know I could turn it up also for deeper targets.

I think I may be getting a 705.

Until the noise drives me nuts I try to run in all metal in trashy areas. I listen for high,solid tones. I have found many good targets amongst the trash this way. I am not as patient as others so my swing speed might be a little faster than it should. I have to remind myself to slow down. Maybe if I did I would still find those same targets in disc mode but this way I don't have to worry about recovery speed as much.
If I'm wrong on any of it someone jump in and say so, I don't want to steer a new user wrong.

TN Mike said:
undrpar said:
you can turn the threshold volume to 0 and you won't hear it anymore..

Awesome thanks.. Nice to know I could turn it up also for deeper targets.

I think I may be getting a 705.

Im gonna have to try this next time out and see if it works like say a Tesoro where when you turn up the threshold you increase the depth or enhance the response, however its called.
I know having a threshold is great because it alerts you to a disced out target.
I used Sovs and Explorers so long I never though to question whether to use it on the Xterra.
Thank you!

BillF said:
Until the noise drives me nuts I try to run in all metal in trashy areas. I listen for high,solid tones. I have found many good targets amongst the trash this way. I am not as patient as others so my swing speed might be a little faster than it should. I have to remind myself to slow down. Maybe if I did I would still find those same targets in disc mode but this way I don't have to worry about recovery speed as much.
If I'm wrong on any of it someone jump in and say so, I don't want to steer a new user wrong.
Actually, going slow is a benefit regardless of what mode you're hunting in, but more so if you notch out segments.

Does notching require a low swing speed? I've been rocking the racer 2 for a week or so now and can say that though the detector is blisteringly fast, the detector is so noisy while notching it masks good targets. Shallow pops hide targets slightly deeper requiring a slow swing.. 3 - 4 second swing.

You won't hear any popping or noise due to notching, but if you sweep too fast it can potentially skip over a good target hidden in the null.

Old Longhair said:
You won't hear any popping or noise due to notching, but if you sweep too fast it can potentially skip over a good target hidden in the null.
\

Thats good to hear (no pun but i could have). Thanks for the help all.. I cant wait to give a 705 a good work out.

All that being said I wonder if Minelab is close to releasing a 805 or 750? Seems to me they would be about ready considering the release of the 3030 and the fact that its been 7 years or so since the release of the 705!

Hey TNMike,
I've had a bunch of detectors over the past 45 years. 29 of those using Tesoros. I still have 2 Compadres but, when I bought my 705 it changed the way I hunt considerably. Would I like to try some other machines? Yes. But I truly love using my 705. I use to say I could tell the difference between trash and treasure 99% of the time, not so much anymore but it beats the daylights out of the Vaquero I had for id'ing. The V was deep,deep. I just got tired of good signals turning out to be a nail at 10".
If you get a 705, give it a chance, I think you'll like it.