Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

705 stability with 10x5 18.75 elliptical coil in salt water

Minas man

I have a Tesoro Vaquero but it is to unstable in wet salt sand or soil conditions so looking for a stable companion detector.
Am looking to find out if this coil and detector are going to be stable in a salt water beach and marsh land. We have salt water rock beaches with gold nuggets but what about using this coil for coins on reclaimed salt marshes, that are now farm land? It is the relationship between the coil and the program and stability . Will the stable gold setting find coins on mineralized soils???
The closest Minelab Dealer is 1000 miles away so reaching out to the x-Terra forum for your insights.:)

Minas man

My experience with the 705 on wet salt beaches here in Florida is not good. You can find targets but it is not deep or stable in doing so. Would not be my choice for wet beach hunting, but it's a killer in dry sand with that coil.

bob.oz said:
My experience with the 705 on wet salt beaches here in Florida is not good. You can find targets but it is not deep or stable in doing so. Would not be my choice for wet beach hunting, but it's a killer in dry sand with that coil.
Are you using the 18.75 elliptical coil on the beaches bob.oz. Does the prospecting mode false in the wet salt sand. How is the elliptical with the non prospecting programs.

Minas man

The 18.75 DD elliptical coil pretty much never comes off my 705. I do not use prospecting mode, only all metal. I eye balled a small thin 10k gold chain once that did not make a sound when passed over.....but at Mark in S.E. IA recommendation, I tried it in prospecting mode and it did pick it up. I've given it a try on the beach, but probably not enough to find anything or give an opinion. I stick with what I'm comfortable with....Old dog, no new tricks. I also have the 6" HF DD coil which is waterproof, the elliptical is not.

Thanks for the info on the 10x5 coil as well as the prospecting mode. Stability in wet salt conditions seem to be about the same For My Vaquero as the x-terra 705 so my next step will be having a look at the Safari, and Explorer.

Minas man

So im not sure about the 10 x 5 18.75 elliptical coil, but what i am sure of is that the 705 with the stock head works great in salt water. the pictures are of a mans silver ring i found at low tide at about 10 inches in wet sand at the pier in Santa Barbara, Ca. I had to learn to turn the sensitivity down some and redo the ground balance in the wet sand. in the salt water you will get false signals in really shallow salt water. Once your at about 9 inches to a foot deep it calms down quite a bit. I tried to find my post from last year about this find but couldn't find it.

cardiacdude said:
I tried to find my post from last year about this find but couldn't find it.
Here it is.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?55,1824375,1824375#msg-1824375

Thanks for that post Cadiacdude and the link Longhair and goes to show that if you are willing to do some tuning you can have some success. I live next to tidal waters and salt marshes and and farmland that has been reclaimed from the sea first by the Acadian's in the 1600's, so that is why I am looking for a detector that will give me a consistent stability in salt soils and wet salt beaches. Last fall I had success with my Vaquero by using a 10x5 DD in dry conditions but the next day after a little shower that night the ground was to hot and detector just falsed and would not Ground Balance.
I am very impressed by all that I have read about the x-terra 705 and believe that it is a very capable and versatile detector but not the correct detector for the ground conditions that I wish to hunt in so it is time to head over the the Safari and Explorer Forum.
Thank you to all who took the time to post there experiences.

Minas man