Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

dougmanning

HI; If you were going to hunt parks and schools, witch coil would buy? 10x5 18.75 or 6''dd 18.75! I have the 9'' 7.5 and can't make up my mind; What do you guys think? Thanks Doug

If your ground isn't very mineralized, some swear by the 3khz concentric for coins. That being said, the 10.5" MF DD coil would probably be a little better if your ground is mineralized for coins as long as it's not a trashy park. If it is trashy, then the 6" coils will probably be better. Randy has articles on coil choice and why and when certain coils are a better choice. Do a search and you'll find his posts.

If I was going to have to choose on a 2nd coil from all offered by Minelab, I would definitely take the 6" HF DD. It is great in trash and if you are going to be hunting parks and school you will more than likely find your share of that. You already have the stock coil for open areas. My 3rd coil choice would be one of the 10.5" DD coils in whichever frequency you choose. I do want to get the 3Khz coil because of its deep silver abilities but it would in my opinion be a more specialized coil. I'm not a big fan of the 9 inch concentrics (other than they are waterproof) and I wish Minelab would come up with a smaller 3Khz DD coil. I know a lot of 705 users feel the same way and it would probably be a big seller.

For most public places like parks, the 3kHz CC isn't suitable. Depending on the trash level, it might well not be worth trying at schools much either.

It's no secret that I'm NOT one of the HF coil fans. I prefer the depth and TID accuracy of the MF & LF coils personally.
That said, either of the 6" coils will separate better and can be run hotter (so as not to lose much depth), and would be a good choice for areas where trash is an issue, or where you need to get close as possible to metal structures.

Thanks for the response! i would like just a little more seperation; there are a lot of things i like about this detector! I just think i need to spend a little more time with it; I have been useing and explorer for years! Doug

I would go with the 10.5" HF DD first and then someday pick up the 6". My reasoning is that I typically don't use the 6" unless I'm close to a shelter in a picnic grove where there is a lot of trash. For the most part if I'm 15' away from the shelter the trash is very minimal and the 10" coil works great. I even use it close to the shelter but I go back with the 6" to find what I've missed.

The 6" HF coil is one of my favorite coils but you'll wear yourself out trying to cover a large area with it besides missing targets because you didn't overlap properly.

You wouldn't paint a room with a trim brush or use a roller to get in the corners. Kind of the same principal but detecting a park is very similar.