Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8.5x12" DD coil question

coin pirate

I know, these coil questions have been answered a million times, but asking anyway, current stock coil on the F5, want more depth without sacrificing too much separation or loosing too much pinpointing ability, was considering a 13" DD coil, but I'm thinking the 8.5x12" would give me the best of both worlds, a DD coil, more depth, not too much width, is it my next choice, mostly coin hunting, looking for some deeper silver/copper. Are CORS coils ok?

The 11" DD coil is a great all around coil for the f5. Plenty of depth with good ground coverage, easy to pinpoint and fairly light. I've considered a small 5" coil for a specialty coil to fit in tight places like around small trees and shrubs where the big coil won't fit. Most reviews I've read on those giant coils have been negative, hard to pinpoint, to heavy and hardly any gain in depth. My brother WV62 had one called the ULTIMATE coil and he didn't keep it long at all, I'm thinking he paid big money for this coil hoping for more depth but that didn't happen.

Thanks for the insight, I think I'm probably going to buy several coils over a few months time, maybe not all at once, and experiment to see what coils do what for my machine, who knows, I may like most of them in the areas I hunt. Can always sell what I don't want or keep as backup. I plan on keeping the F5 around quite a while, in fact, when I get another MD, I'll still probably keep this one. I'm also using the headphones now, in fact, can't take them off, can't believe I resisted using them as long as I have.

As I get new coils, I'll post air test and live dig reports on each using the F5. I think I'm going to try the 8.5x12, not too big a coil at first, then a small 5" sniper coil, followed by the bigger 12x13, I'll let my wife get me the 11"DD for Christmas.

What do you mean by 8.5X12 coil ? Is that a Nel or Cors coil ? I've had 3 Detech coils and all worked well and were well built. The Ultimate will get you more depth then the concentric without a doubt. Target ID was not as precise but then no DD coil can match the concentric on the F5 for that. The Ultimate separates surprisingly well for a big coil. I saw no differences between it and the 11 DD in separation. Pinpointing was not quite as precise as either Fisher coils but not much of an issue either. The Ultimate is not good for tot lots in the sense that you can't go anywhere near metal structures big or small. I don't care for the detachable cord on the Detech coils. How water proof are they really ? It's not an issue for me because I don't usually hunt in shallow water or really wet areas. I did submerge my 11DD and concentric a few times with no ill effects. The 11 DD balances better on the F5 and is almost as deep. That's the one I'd get. It's light, robust and definitely covers more ground than the stock concentric.

It's the equivalent of the NEL hunter. Different name, same coil. Get the one that is cheaper. Make sure you do basic air tests before you decide to keep it. Test depth and target ID. Also test pinpointing on a ground target to make sure it works as it should.