Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8" stock coil for 1265X has a short in the connector

Atlas

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a short circuit in the connector area I believe. Seems like the audio would short out when I wiggled the connector possibly one of the contacts contacting (grounding out) against the metal connector housing. I tried some tape and paper inside the connector in an effort to shield it from the other internal connections but it didn't work.

I researched this once before and I believe the consensus was to just get a new 8" spider coil for the machine. I bought the machine new back in the day with the 3.5", 8", and 11" coils and also got the Fisher hard shell carry case. I just don't want to part with this machine and the 8" coil was my favorite. Oh yeah, the 3.5 and 11 work fine on the machine

Just wondering if any fisher classic users have any suggestions. I saw another thread on the Super 6 coil but with few made probably not much chance for one of those with only 100 made.

Yes! my 1266 coil the same problem. I just pulled the connector apart and did a little easy soldering, made sure that other wire ends weren't touching any other wires and presto all is well.
They are actually pretty easy to solder.

Mark

High,
A good thing also to use, especially on older coils that do not see very much use,is contact cleaner on plugs/jacks (depending upon figuration).
Not WD-40 but the same kind of electrical contact cleaner that you use for the pots on your old school hifi amp.
Especially in a salt-air environment, electric contact points corrode/oxidize at a fast rate, many a times not grounding properly or otherwise impeding current flow. Car trailer owners that live near the ocean will know what I mean.
The remedy in form of a contact cleaner is cheap at RadioShack or similar outlets.
Just my 2 bits worth
HH
skookum

Edit:
I believe, the 1265 has the same plug configuration as the 1270 - a five pin female plug on the coil.
This is a Switchcraft plug.
Type: SL 405 FX
You can order these from mouser, just in case you want to replace the plug.
The five pin male plug, by the way, is type SL 405 MX -

The wires are stranded. Good chance one of the strands broke and is touching some other wire. Slide the connector jacket about 2 inches away from the end of the cable. Gonna need a magnifying glass to inspect the wires, look for a broken strand. Then you can move the broken strand with a needle. Test it on your detector before you slide the connector jacket back in place.