Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8" Tornado or Sunray S-8

ML

Anybody ever compare these coils head to head? I have to replace my 8" Tornado soon and want to know if the S-8 would be a better choice. I've owned a few Sunray coils (S-12's) over the years but prefered the 10 x 12 SEF and sold them. Thanks

n/t

The Tornado is 7 & 3/4 or 1/4 inches, aint it? What size is the S-8? Some prefer the size over the Minelab for really good seperation.

ML,I have compared both in the field and the bench.Both are very stable with good depth and great coils.The Tornado 800 has better separation and even though a smaller coil is deeper on the bench by at least an inch.In the field where it counts both are very close but the nod for me would go to the 800 coil.Curious why do you need to replace the small Tornado they are built like a tank.HH Ron

Ron - The coil works great, but it has a very short cable (approx 41"). It was ok with the stock shaft but when I went with a Plugger shaft (which I really like), the cable is now several inches too short to connect to the box. I'm gonna sell it and get another 8", and it'll probably be the Tornado. I was actually hoping that there was an 8 x 6 SEF for the Sov.

Ron from Michigan said:
ML,I have compared both in the field and the bench.Both are very stable with good depth and great coils.The Tornado 800 has better separation and even though a smaller coil is deeper on the bench by at least an inch.In the field where it counts both are very close but the nod for me would go to the 800 coil.Curious why do you need to replace the small Tornado they are built like a tank.HH Ron

:thumbup:

and I wish I still had the S8 I had a few months back so I could weigh it because the smaller tornado sure felt lighter to me but hey, the scale would tell us.

Critterhunter said:
The Tornado is 7 & 3/4 or 1/4 inches, aint it? What size is the S-8? Some prefer the size over the Minelab for really good seperation.

Meant to say Some prfer the size OF the Minelab for really good seperation. Is the S-8 the same size or a true 8"?

S8 and 8" Coinsearch are both full 8" coils.

8" Tornado is actually 7.25"

I use the 8" Tornado and am very happy with it. The only other coil I have used is the 10 " Tornado, which is also a very good coil.

i have the 800 and i chose that because it would give better seperation depth is less than the 10

I would just keep the 800 and make up an extention cable for it , or buy an extention cable for it ........Jim