Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

8x6 sef coil

Hammered Again

Hi all,I want to buy a smaller coil for my sov xs2 but am a bit in the air as to which one to chose,i am thinking of the tornado 8" or the 8x6 sef,any info on the performance between these two coils to help me decide would be much appreciated.many thanks in advance.

Hammered,we don't have the 8X6 in the US.I have used the 800 Tornado which is a 7.25 inch coil probably smaller than the 8X6.This small Tornado coil has proved itself in the field and is my favorite coil excellent depth and target separation.LOL never bet on a horse if you haven't seen it run.Good Luck HH Ron

The 800 Tornado is my favorite!
BTW - I contacted Detech through a colleague in the Ukraine and they confirmed that they do not make an 8x6 for the SOV and never have. I'm not sure what the fellow in the UK is selling but according to Detech it's not one of their SEF's?

stumpass -

There is a site "across the pond" that states the 8X6 does work on the sovereign series detectors.

http://www.crawfordsmd.com/metal-detecting-accessories/accessories-minelab/Detec-8x6-coil

8X6 SEF coil suitable for Minelab Sovereign models. Ideal for searching trashy sites

Model:

All Sovereign (BBS)

Manufacturer:

Minelab

: Price:

Someone in the forum i do not remember who said they contacted Crawfords awhile back and they said that they do carry the Detech SEF 8x6 coil but do not ship to the USA something about Kellyco has the rights ? i even asked Kellyco about the 8x6 and they said they do not carry it anymore !!! so who knows here is a picture of one from Crawfords in England . GL Jim

Just tried that link and it says product not found or something, yet I remember seeing the 8x6 listed for the Sovereign on there a few months back. It appears the mystery continues here, as to if this coil was ever or is now made for the BBS units. I've heard some say it is, and I've heard some say it never has. Somebody on here I think says they did indeed own one for their Sovereign if I remember right?

The other unicorn is the 6" (not the 5") Excelerator. I vaguely remember seeing that size listed on Kellyco's site a few years ago but couldn't be sure, but recently somebody confirmed to me that they did indeed sell the 6" Excelerator for the BBS units at Kellyco at one time back then. I've looked on the UK forums trying to track down field reports for the BBS units with this coil, as it seems the Detechs are a bit more easy to get from various sources over there.

Can't find any field reports of it for the Sovereign though, and don't think I ran across it listed on Detech's or any other site for the BBS units, so it must be a very hard beast to track down. I've been interested in trying one based on some FBS guys loving that as their trash coil, more so it seems than the 5" Excelerator and a few other small trash coils it seems for those units.

deepdiger60 said:
Someone in the forum i do not remember who said they contacted Crawfords awhile back and they said that they do carry the Detech SEF 8x6 coil but do not ship to the USA something about Kellyco has the rights ? i even asked Kellyco about the 8x6 and they said they do not carry it anymore !!! so who knows here is a picture of one from Crawfords in England . GL Jim

deepdigger60 - I think you may be referring to a post of mine a few months back. I did contact Crawford by e-mail concerning the 8 x 6 SEF and their reply was that they do not ship to the USA. They didn't provide any reason why. I'd love to get my hands on one.

I wanted to confirm with the company http://www.crawfordsmd.com/metal-detecting-accessories/accessories-minelab/Detec-8x6-coil (after my initial post) that they indeed has the coil for the Sovereign.This morning, (3-23-13) I received this letter:

Hi Jim,
my apologies, Having just checked Detech's latest price list , it would seem
that the 8x6 is no longer available for the Sovereign models. I have now
removed it from our site. I will take this up with them next week when I
place an order.
Kind regards
Craig
CMD Sales

So at one point the coil was made for the Sovereign series. That is too bad they don't offer them for sale any longer.I would love to try one of these little 8x6's.

I suspect it never sold well, as it seems the 8" Coinsearch for these Sovereigns is out there in fairly large quantities that people seem to love, and also the 7.25" eight inch Tornado. I don't ever remember seeing Kellyco carrying it for the BBS models, which I'm sure didn't help any sales of it if Detech was making them, since Kellyco is the only authorized US outlet for Detech coils.

There's even a 4.5x7" Detech coil for the BBS models over in the UK but Kellyco once again I don't think ever carried it. They have or do carry it for the FBS units.

Then there's a Detech 10x14 coil. Wicked looking thing. Again, Kellyco I don't think ever carried the BBS version but have/do for other machines, and judging by the only pictures i can find of it with the words on the box or in adds it seems like it is only sold in France I suspect. At least the words looked French to me.

deepdiger60 said:

Jim do they have a pic of one with the cable in the pic? That pic could easily be the FBS version.

When I was on the site last night they had pictures of both the FBS and the BBS 8x6 SEF listed side by side. From what I could see the pictures of both coils looked nearly identical. But they did have two seperate listings for BBS and FBS. Oh well, it would of been nice to pick one up and try it.