Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

9 inch MF Concentric coil vs 10.5 inch DD HF coil

cal

Should a 10.5 inch DD HF coil be expected to go deeper than the 9 inch MF coil in 13-15 mineralized soil on a medium sized gold ring? And how much depth would you expect to lose ( if any) with the 10.5 coil HF in moderate soil (40's) compared to the 9 inch MF? Any help or opinions would be appreciated.Thanks Cal

Well Cal, the answer to your first question is "yes".
The answer to your second question isn't necessarily quite as easy. It depends partly on what specific soil mineralization is made up of (magnetic or conductive minerals), as well as what it is that you're hunting for and general site conditions.

FWIW, for the kind of hunting that I do most, and the conditions here, that frequency is my last choice. As a matter of fact, the 10.5" HF DD is the only Xterra coil that I've ever sold, because where it excels at accuracy on low conductors, it's equally inaccurate on the high conductors I tend to hunt for.

I'm not disenchanted with the 9 inch MF stock coil at all, on the contrary am surprised at the over all performance it gives in the moderate soils in my areas. The one place I hunt is volleyball courts that has hauled in sand that I suspect is high in iron content. This is where I get into high mineralized (13-15) reading and where I think the DD coil might have a advantage. Would the 10.5 MF DD be sufficient enough to gold ring hunt in these conditions?

The 10.5" MF DD is the general purpose coil of choice. It will most certainly find a gold ring, and it should run deeper even in that sand than your 9", with much better separation.

Thanks for your help, Longhair! I think I will get one in the near future. Thanks again! cal