Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

9 volt batteriesfor tesoro

I just use Energizer 9 volts and they seem to last quite a while. I bought a bunch of them in bulk on &$#.ay for a pretty good price. Duracell should be good too.

That can be tricky choosing. Unlike other sizes of batteries not all 9 volts are the same size. Many are taller than others.
I use Duracell because they aren't as tall as some others.
I made the mistake with my tesoro 8 of using utilitech and other batteries in it and it's now permanently compressed the battery terminals.
If I do use a Duracell or Energizer now in it I have to put a folded paper shim at the bottom or it doesn't make contact with the terminals and is loose in the compartment.
I got li ion 9 volts but they are also too tall. They now go in smoke detectors lol.
If you have a Duracell or Energizer, even if it's dead, save it to compare to others you may find and you'll see what I mean about height difference. I was very surprised to see the amount of variation in size between different brands.

I got about 4 to 5 hours of use as opposed to 15 or so with alkalines (brands make a big difference.)
And rechargeables will self discharge in storage--Stored at 70 degrees F (20 C) NiMH batteries will lose up to 40% of their charge within a month
Alkalines not in use lose about 1% per year.

I use Tenergy NiMH and EBL Lithium Ion rechargeables in my Cibola, Minuteman, F19 and Garrett pinpointers. I have not experienced much storage loss, certainly not almost 40% on good quality rechargeables.
I have some rechargeable batteries that are at least 10 years old that still fully charge and work fine. I just carry plenty of charged spares either in my pouch or car.

Jeff

First, re-read the reply by 'Stoof-tabsallday' for the biggest precaution to take. Many people haven't and it often results in problems, and that is using any battery that is over-sized. Oversized doesn't only mean the battery's length, but also the width and thickness. If over-sized a battery can over-compress the metal battery terminals in the 'drop-on' types. Being too large can also wedge them in the battery compartment, or make it difficult to slide on a battery compartment door. That can result in a cracked / broken plastic door, or wedge a battery so tightly it needs to be pried out.

This can more often happen with a rechargeable battery, but I have seen it too many times with some alkaline batteries as well. You should never have to force a battery into position.

Now, by 'quality' I am, not referring to any specific brand, either. Some batteries are what we might call an 'off-brand' meaning a bulk production or just not long-standing, well-known name. Some are a 'house-brand' battery made for a particular business. Then there are some major names that have production facilities in different parks of the world, and while some do produce a well-made battery with very reliable 'run-times' and performance, there are also many that make an inferior battery. They might be a lower voltage, or have a more variable voltage out of one package, and just not provide an ample 'run-time' .... even though they might have a higher retail price simply because the package has a popular brand name.

So, learn as you go. I don't always make a decision based on where the packaging says a battery was made. But if I find a battery that is not very impressive, I remember the warning signs and don't buy it again. I just remember those that do work Okay, and then I shop for a better price so that I get the best 'run-time' I can at a more affordable price. For example, about October or so I went to the local grocery store. A 'Thriftway' family store that carried Western Family' house brand items, but they had been bought out and the new company, I believe it is called Food Club, had their house-brand items repackaged. As I walked past the Customer Service counter I spied a price-tag on the battery display that read, in big bold numbers, [size=large]99¢[/size].

Yes, that was for their 9-Volt Alkaline Battery! I had an extra $10 so I bought 10 of them, but that was just an unadvertised 2-Day sale, and I went back the next day and they had been cleaned out.:( I've used them before and I knew thy were a proper physical size, and they provided decent performance, so I bought a few extras for my Emergency Battery, Flashlight and Radio Tote,

Just make sure they are a 'proper-fit' size, and alkaline, not a standard or heavy-duty battery. Then be alert for any weak-performing batteries and avoid them in the future.

Monte

I've been using the Powerex 9.6V, 230mA NiMh rechargeables and find they work really well. They're "slow discharge", so retain their charge for a long time. Size-wise, I haven't noticed any issues with them fitting into the battery compartment.

-Ken

Rayovac High Energy is all I use, and they last a long time.

Walmart brand, been using their AA's and 9 volts for the past 10 years. Cheaper in the bulk packs.
Not sure who makes them now.

By the way a number of years ago, I came up with a 9 volt alkaline battery charger. It worked super. You could get about 5 or charges out of each 9 volt.
Not a popular seller, gave away a number of them , seemed folks would rather spent extra cash on new batteries, than recycle a number of times.
This charger is designed to safely charge “only” 9 volt Alkaline batteries.
Either charge 1 or 2 batteries at a time.
Complete charge takes approx. 4-8 hours depending upon battery condition.
There is no timer or auto cut off.
Check battery voltage with a multimeter. If battery voltage reads 10 volts or more, unplug
battery from charger. This will stop the charging. Over a period of 1 hour the voltage will
drop back closer to 9 volts. This is normal.
Can be left on charge overnight without harm. Charger will not overheat 9 volt Alkaline
batteries.
Depending upon brand of battery, possible to recharge up to 5x, possibly more.
It is advisable when charging two batteries at a time, that both batteries have been
discharged to similar voltage. This will prevent one battery from overcharging.
This charger will not charge AA size batteries in a 6 cell (9 volt) battery holder. Or any
carbon type battery.
----------------------------

Attachments

• JP120004.JPG
    JP120004.JPG
    498.7 KB · Views: 220
  • 9vwpwr1.JPG
    9vwpwr1.JPG
    300.5 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:
That can be tricky choosing. Unlike other sizes of batteries not all 9 volts are the same size. Many are taller than others.
I use Duracell because they aren't as tall as some others.
I made the mistake with my tesoro 8 of using utilitech and other batteries in it and it's now permanently compressed the battery terminals.
If I do use a Duracell or Energizer now in it I have to put a folded paper shim at the bottom or it doesn't make contact with the terminals and is loose in the compartment.
I got li ion 9 volts but they are also too tall. They now go in smoke detectors lol.
If you have a Duracell or Energizer, even if it's dead, save it to compare to others you may find and you'll see what I mean about height difference. I was very surprised to see the amount of variation in size between different brands.
Amazon batteries are reportedly longer than your standard length and may fit your needs

Hi All !
Straight from the Bandido ll µMax manual, except I added "Title:", "Sub-title:" and "Page # 13".

Title: GENERAL INFORMATION - CARE AND USE Page # 13
Sub-title: Protecting your investment
• Use only high-quality alkaline batteries of the correct voltage. Never substitute a different voltage. When using a
Ni-Cad battery, always use a separate convertible pack with the proper voltage output for the detector’s design.

ToddB64

From past posts, I learned the Compadre does NOT have a battery voltage regulator. So I opted not to get the higher 9.6 volt rechargables. I think it was Rusty who said the inital spike could harm the Compadre. I used the lower volt Tenergy and got about 10 hours. The Sunbeam dollar store batteries were great (2/$1) for about 16 hours, but they're now a buck apiece.

Attachments

• volt.png
    volt.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
I too have a alkaline battery charger. Problem is the batteries tend to leak and discharge sooner after recharging. Never tried to recharge nine volt batteries so don’t know if it’s a problem. One thing that’s nice is this charger will charge the high capacity nine volts to nearly eleven volts.