Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

a 1970 Whites detector

Tom_in_CA

Lifted from another forum:

Paperwork shows purchased in 1970. Notice from the last page, where some testimonials are cited, that the predominant usage/mindset of detecting at the time, was still "big-ticket type hunting. As opposed to singular coins/jewelry type hunting. Enjoy!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tom
Always great to revisit the old detector ads. :)

I especially liked the reference to the 45 ounce nugget..."worth several thousand dollars". :)

Several thousand? At todays gold price, that would be worth just shy of $50.000.00 dollars.

:)
mike

Tom- that's awesome! I've got a 66TR,same coils but they're white. 270 bucks was some money back then,the promise of return must have been the main selling point,as opposed to exercise and such. I need the 8 cell holder for mine,other than that I know it works. Question is.....is it relevant in any way anymore? That's a great ad...

Kevin

Ah yes, so-too did mine have a slightly different loop look. Which makes me wonder if there was a difference between the 66T and the 66TR. Looking at old TH'ing magazine ads, it appears that Whites continued to sell the 66TR even to as late as about 1974.

To answer your question, it has little to no use now. About the only possible exception would be if someone wants to "see through" nails. Because those old TRs did have the innate ability to not only null over small iron, but also to see a conductive target beneath them (to a certain degree anyhow). Unlike today's high-powered deep-seeking machines which ..... when they disc. out a nail, risk missing a coin UNDER the nail (ie.: "masking"). Hence those old TRs were good ghost-town machines, where carpets of nails riddled the surface.

HOWEVER, the benefits end there. In all other ways it is a dinasour. To the extent you could "see through nails", it would only do that to a few inches at best. And lacked any other form of TID. And was a bear to keep balance, worked lousy in minerals, etc... And also: The compass 77b (another all-metal TR machine of the same era) did the trick much better, IMHO. And so, to this day, there are some people who still use the 77b for certain nail-riddled environments (under porches of old houses, ghost-townsy type spots, etc....). So too would the 66TR do the same thing. But not quite as nice and smooth as the 77b did, IMHO.

Hey Tom in Ca! I have one but these detectors are a (BEAR) when it comes to battery requirement. Don't think the 67.5 volt battery is even sold anymore and would be grossly impractical anyway. The other connections have to be re-wired with newer connections but they will accept the AA's and the 9-volt if rewired. Mine has sat for a couple of years since I got it. Have the big red concentric coil and the little one too. Also the black and red one. Think mine is a 1967 model though with it using these coils.