Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A bit confused...

Dan-Pa.

I realize the X-terra 30 has segments and will compare to a Garret which I have used where one segment comes up and is equal to roughly 4 numbers..Does the X-terra give you one number on the screen or a segment( in other words lets deal with pennies as an example) if I air tested an Indian head newer and older, Zinc penny newer and older,wheat penny newer and older would I get a segment of numbers or a specific one number for each.EXAMPLE newer indian head basically are in the zinc range while the real old ones come in at square tab.
Might sound like a crazy question, but until I hold one in my had won't know. Basically judging by the number or numbers would I know what I have within reason before I dug. Thanks ahead of time....

Hi Dan,

Think CZ. You get a number, it means a category of targets.

So 30 on my XT50 means zinc penny... but it might mean IH penny. 36 means copper penny or clad dime or silver dime.

I was doing some comparing last night, and my DFX runs from 1-95 in single increments on non-ferrous targets. The XT50 runs from 3-45 in three number increments. I am just guessing but 1,2,and 3 all give you a three. 4,5, or 6 all give you a 6. But I suppose 5,6, and 7 could all be reading as a 6.

Anyway, the DFX gives you 95 non-ferrous notches. The XT50 gives you 15 non-ferrous notches. So one number on my XT50 covers a range of about 6 numbers on my DFX.

In other words if I set everything to reject on both machines, and then turn one notch to accept on my XT50, I'd have to turn a range of 6 numbers to accept on my DFX to get a similar audio response.

The good news is that anyone who has used the DFX knows the numbers will move, generally downward as items get deeper. A single item that might give varying numbers on a DFX is more likely to give a single, solid number on an XT50.

The XT30 with 11 non-ferrous notches covers closer to a 9 number DFX range and so will lump items a tad more, and give even more of an appearance of "solid" hits. The XT50 should "bounce" a bit more than the XT30.

Another aside on the DFX and XT50 is that since the numeric range is about half that of the DFX on the XT50, any given target id on the DFX can be divided by two and come close on the XT50. So a reading of about 72 for a penny o the DFX is a 36 on the XT50. A nickle at 20 on the DFX is a 12 on the XT50.

I guess this all raises the question of naming segments. The easy way to look at it is there are 12 segments on the XT30 bar graph, and 18 on the XT50 bar graph. Any target will cause one segment to flash. Weak or borderline signals will cause the visual indication to bounce between segments.

Minelab has chosen to name these segments by numbers, but I'm not sure that really makes any more sense than just using letters of the alphabet. A, B, C, D, E... and so on. And there will always be a tendency to name segments. 30 on my XT50 will be the "Zinc Penny" segment. 36 will be "Penny/Dime" and 42 will be "Quarter". 18 is "Pulltab/Med Mens Ring" and so on. I've already got all mine named!

Steve Herschbach