Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Colonial Cellar hole Hunt :twodetecting:

Bill Ladd

Even though the ticks are out in force this year, it seemed like it's been awhile since me & my team have scouted out a new cellar hole. I targeted a nice patch of woods that was loaded with stone walls & a nice stream (water source) & we figured they were the boundrys of some long lost farmlands. There were walls & rock stacks everywhere from past plowing......but there were so many walls it took us awhile to finally locate a foundation. As we hiked, the walls finally got higher & more well built (here's Rob by an unusually high one). We knew we were close......
[attachment 197678 pknswalls.jpg]
After finally finding this cellar hole that looked to be late 1700's, we all fanned out anxious to see what was in the ground. I had a F75LTD, Rob was using the Omega. There were also several outbuilding foundations like root cellars, barns, etc. But we quickly found out this was gonna be a huge challenge....
There were iron overloads everywhere as it apparently was active well into the 1900's. This may take the cake as the most iron loaded cellar on my GPS, with maybe 250 years of trash scattered about. Here's a shot of the main house cellar hole.
[attachment 197679 pknshole4.jpg]
We dug out tons of iron trash for a few hours, ate lunch & kept trying. I was able to muster up a couple flat buttons, & then I saw what looked like a glit of gold! :yikes: I thought I had a gold pocket watch part, but it reads high on the F75 so I think it's just plated :(
Probably my best relic find was another heart stopper.........I thought I had a George Washington Inaugural button. The large late 1700's coat button is the same size, & I saw some kinda pattern on it coming outta the ground. At first glance it looked liked the infamous "chicken hawk" wings. But, a quick wipe showed it's not a GW bird but still a cool, hand-designed Colonial coat button with some gold gilt highlights...
[attachment 197680 PknLotButtons.jpg]
I was surprised nobody nailed a coin, but we know they are there under all that iron so we'll be back soon......
We all gut sick of digging out large iron overloads so we followed some more walls & ended the hike finding another sweet looking cellar hole that looks even older & less trashy. If it's never been detected we should do well. So we GPS'ed it & hiked back to the car......
Hopefully I'll make another post or even a video soon after we give it a shot.....
HH,
Bill

Lots of time and patience and who knows all the great stuff you guys will be pullin outta that place! :detecting:
Congrats! :thumbup:

Wow! Thanx Bill! I've said this before "I envy NO man" BUT - just that word "Colonial" seems to have a magical appeal to me! Being in metro Atlanta may occasionally have it's perks but I never get to enjoy "Colonial" anything! Please ship New England down here just for a few weeks!! (Not the people, just the land! J/K !) :)