Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Compass 77b story to liven up this forum :)

Tom_in_CA

In 1980, when I was still in high school, the city did a downtown renewal/streetscape project. They tore out 2 blocks of downtown district sidewalks. Put in all-new decorative sidewalks & such. So you can bet that 5 to 7 guys were out there, each day at 5pm when the workers cut out, plying their luck in this sidewalk tearout project. Right along the commercial/retail row frontage no less! So multiple seateds and barbers and V's and such were getting found. Fun fun fun.

And at that time, as anyone who knows that era will recall, there was great leaps of technology evolution that had occured over the previous 5 to 10 yrs. Thus by 1980, everyone was swinging the "latest greatest" discriminators and new-fangled motion machine technology ! There was a 5000d series I out there (circa 1976-77-ish), there was a few 6000Ds (circa 1978-79-ish, that could effortlessly work the un-even ground WHILE in discriminate, woohoo!). There was a Red Baron SPD (circa 1978-ish) out there, as I recall. And I was swinging a Garrett Groundhog (circa 1977-ish).

But along comes a guy swinging a Compass 77b (circa 1972-73-ish). I recognized it as a machine I'd seen when I'd first started out several years earlier (mid 1970s). Yet we'd all ditched such machines, when the newer latest greatest machines had come out. Ie.: no more digging foil in the school yards, etc..... , deeper, blah blah. So we looked with pity & smug disdain on this poor fellow who was using this dinasour. No one paid him much attention.

But imagine our surprise when the fellow spanked everyone else's coin counts by 5x to 1x ! I talked to the guy and he explained: "This detector doesn't see the nails". At first, I was totally confused by this statement. I mean, doesn't OUR machies reject nails too? :confused: So what is the guy talking about ? It took me many more years to finally understand what he meant: While we were effortlessly passing nails (of course), yet he was seeing THROUGH them to combat masking.

At the time, as a beginner, I had no concept of masking. And though it was all about depth, discrimination, ground cancel, etc..... While those things are fine and dandy for most hunting, yet when you're talking about a location with lots of small iron/nails, and a location where depth isn't an issue/factor, and the soil is modest enough to allow an all-metal TR, and where you are in relic mindset (ie.: dig all conductors), then in such cases, the 77b is actually superior in all respects to the "latest greatest".

That fellow went on to get interviewed by the local newspaper, and the story of his success was profiled in a newspaper article. Pix of the coins, pix of him on the Main St. tearout, etc.... Needless to say, he did eventually move up to a 6000d, when he was getting spanked 10x to 1x for old silver in the park turf. But he probably kept the 77b around for just such occasions as old-town urban demolition tearouts.

Great story Tom,

Yeah, I remember when you first learned about iron masking because you were so excited seeing up close what the 77B could do. You gave us a demonstration with your 77B over at SJB, several of us were there and that demonstration opened my eyes.

Gosh, this must had been 12-14 years ago. Wasn't long after I purchased a used 77B and that night over at the Kern County scored my first shield nickel with the 77B, you were there also picked up a seated 1/2 dime with the 77B and lost it the same night.

Well, at least that hasn't changed I'm still loosing my finds :)

Paul

Tom,

Long ago, Before getting the 77B did have a few other Compass TR's but those were not the 77B. And at the time didn't understand iron masking effected the signal, Still have those first TR's but most are in pieces gutted out for parts and such.

Since, Have gone to Compass Automatics I know you and maybe a few others prefer the 77B manual but for me now it's strictly Compass 100kHz automatics. Compass made another type under the name Cue, Several different models I have about six different Cue Models two are TR Automatics the remainder are TR manual driven. To be honest, Not built as tough as the metal box type and Cue models are made of plastic. However, Performance wise both the Cue manual and the Cue automatics are great performers along the line as metal lunch box Compass models.

I'll try and gather up my Compass Cue Collection, Post some pics in the near future.

Paul