Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Couple Hours in the Rain with My New Deus

The Wolf

So I got my new Deus this week and I've been itching to take her out. Luckily, just a few minutes down the road, I've got permission to a home built in 1800 with lots of history. Signal are super tough to get there, now that I've been hunting it for a few years. Anyway...here I am standing at my back door and looking out the window just waiting for the rain to settle enough for me to make a run for the Jeep! I tucked the control housing under my shirt, grabbed my wide rimmed fishing hat, and hit it. After getting the feel for the machine I was off. With each signal, I was learning how to tweak settings, and what each one did. I got the Iron audio to where I could just hear the nails, set it on basic 2, 12 khz, disc on 9, reactivity on 1, sens on 90, silencer on -1 & 3 tones I think. I think I stumbled onto an old home site on a hill-top in the woods. I feel like these settings love the brass. I found some lead shot, but not a single nail.

I ended up with a beautiful Tombac button, a very ornate piece of a shoe/knee buckle, 1980 Lincoln, and about 50 shotgun shells. :lol:

Anyway, can anyone comment on the settings I was using. I just got Andy's book today and I'm about to dive in.

The only thing I didn't like was the machine would sound off like crazy if the coil bumped a branch, twig, log, or bean stalk. Is there any remedy for this, I tried but couldn't get it to stop. Also is there any issue hunting with the machine in the rain as long as the headphones and control box are covered?

Thanks in advance, -Mike

If you are having trouble with the coil sounding off when you hit a branch, tree, etc you need to use the "notch ground" feature under the expert menu of GB. I typically run GB manually at "85" where my average soil reading is 80-82 most of the time. Under the "notch ground" option I hit the + button to notch out GB values from 85-90 and it seems to work just fine. I almost never take the Sens above 85 due to EMI and a few other things, but have found coins down to 9" deep with Reactivity at 2

Keep hunting that site I'm sure old coins will show themselves soon - the shotgun shell casings alone are evidence enough of that!

I wouldn't worry about water affecting the headphones but the control box you can make waterproof with a couple different cases. I have mine in a simple iPhone see-through case and have hunted for several hours in the rain with no ill effects.

I have not tried the ground notch, so can't speak to that. I will definitely give it a try, though as I think about it, I'm not clear on why that helps. But I'll give it a shot.

When I experience bumps sounding off, I typically reduce the sensitivity a few points. I know that works on my water machines when they sound off at the slightest bump, and it has worked with the Deus, too. I usually try to hunt with sensitivity at 92, at least to start. I haven't had to drop it below 85 to mitigate the falsing from bumps.
Good luck!
Rich

CZconnoisseur said:
If you are having trouble with the coil sounding off when you hit a branch, tree, etc you need to use the "notch ground" feature under the expert menu of GB. I typically run GB manually at "85" where my average soil reading is 80-82 most of the time. Under the "notch ground" option I hit the + button to notch out GB values from 85-90 and it seems to work just fine. I almost never take the Sens above 85 due to EMI and a few other things, but have found coins down to 9" deep with Reactivity at 2

Thanks for the tips! I tried the notch ground function today and it worked! So am I correct in assuming if I notch out the ground from say 85-90, then I will miss targets with same readout? -Mike

I think you are right. If you Ground Notch, you will notch out targets of the same value.

The Wolf said:
CZconnoisseur said:

Thanks for the tips! I tried the notch ground function today and it worked! So am I correct in assuming if I notch out the ground from say 85-90, then I will miss targets with same readout? -Mike

No that's not how it works...If you notch out say, 85-90 using this feature; Deus won't accept ground readings at that range. You will still pick up all goodies that VDI from 85-90 - the VDI and ground notch values are NOT one and the same.

Here's a video from a good overseas resource who has been using Deus for a long time - he gives a demonstration of what GB notch does. He basically puts a silver quarter 30cm (11.5 inches) deep and goes through a few settings. 2:09 he starts demonstrating the effect of ground notch...and later on he will show the effect of increased silencer settings.

I bet I watched this video five times when I got started but this one video spelled almost everything out for me! Hope it helps and good luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuANf3J3yg

Thanks for explaining CZ.

Wow! Thanks for posting the video link. I've already watched it 3 times with my control box in hand. This guy sounds like Arnold!

"If that ain't a diggable signal, I don;t know what is" :lol: Gets me every time..

Thanks again for sharing.