Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A couple IHC's with the Racer 2

UtahRich

I had a chance to get out for a few hours about 2 weeks ago. Been a little slack in getting it posted here. The winter weather was unusually nice and gave opportunity to hunt the private yard of a beautiful two story house built in 1900. The new owner was renovating the yard and had removed all the grass in the front and the large parking strip and tilled the dirt mixing everything left together.

I had my Racer 2 with me, set up with the 7" concentric coil. Detector settings were Two Tone mode. ID Filter at 12. Tone break at nickel. Sensitivity was down at 65 due to some emi.

The VERY first beep and target of the day was 64-65 and right on top of the dirt, I could see the edge of the coin. I was thinking low zinc penny reading. Imagine my surprise when the coin turned out NOT to be a zincoln, but an 1896 IHC.

Things were pretty slow from there. The yard appeared to have been cherry picked by one or more detectorists as most of the conductive signals I was getting were disintegrating zincolns, various tabs and pieces of aluminum. Still, careful searching turned up some “good” clad tucked in close to garbage. The Racer 2 does a nice job separating close targets. Looking in some unlikely spots turned up a very clean 1908 IHC. I turned it over hoping to discover an S on the back, but no luck this time.

The two IHC’s were nice to find. Not a single wheatie though. And no silver. Lots of zincolns and pull tabs though. A small handful of clad. Also a 1 mil Utah Sales tax token, a nice marble and a couple odd and ends.

HH

Rich -

Nice finds Rich. How are you liking the 7" concentric coil? It is turning out to be one of my favorites,

I know it is on my Racer 2. Terrific multi-purpose performance,

Congratulations on two nice IH pennies! When I get to a property I always ask myself, "self, where is the least likely spot that you would never hunt?" I then head to that very location. Since doing this, I have made some very nice recoveries.

Looking in some unlikely spots turned up a very clean 1908 IHC.

Phillip NM - I'm pretty fond of IHC's as well, especially when I'm hunting yards and older parks. It seems that IHC's from these locations are usually in better condition that when I'm out in the boondocks. Regardless, when I see the wreath on the reverse it is always fun to check the date since IHC's cover such a large period of time; 1859 - 1909.

OregonGregg - I'm liking the 7" concentric. It does a nice job of separating targets and still gets good depth. Seems to be 'right sized' to take advantage of the Racer 2's attributes.

Monte - Would I have grief it Makro made the 7" concentric the standard coil ? Nope. At this point in getting to know my Racer 2, I could use the 7" concentric almost all the time. I do need the 5" for the real heavy iron trash. And the 7x11 is handy for covering big areas like sports fields. But in realty, I don't get into the heavy iron trash or sports fields nearly as often as the old yards.

earthlypotluck said:
Congratulations on two nice IH pennies! When I get to a property I always ask myself, "self, where is the least likely spot that you would never hunt?" I then head to that very location. Since doing this, I have made some very nice recoveries.

Looking in some unlikely spots turned up a very clean 1908 IHC.

Thanks, I like to find undisturbed ground if possible. In this circumstance, ALMOST all of the yard had been stripped of grass and tilled. One SMALL spot that wasn't held that second IHC. I like it when my sleuthing pays off. :thumbup:

Rich -