Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A couple keepers yesterday...

fwcrawford

I tried a school that I had never been too before and actually, there was another guy detecting there and we struck up a conversation.
He went on to tell me there was an older school at this site many years ago and he had found some silver coins there.
We hunted together for a while and I found the war nickel pretty fast... later on after he left, I found the silver dime.
I also got two wheat pennies and some clad from this site.
The war nickel gave a high TID on the Equinox and I have seen this before.
TID was 21/22... it was about 7" deep.
Thanks for looking!
IMG_0440.JPG

It always feels good to see shiny peeking up! 1954, now that was a good year!! Well, for some of us…….😉

Nice finds Felix! Although that nickel doesn’t count as silver 🫢 but hey, who’s counting? 😂😂😂
I have found war nickels that have registered 16, 17, and 18 but none as high as 21/22. Maybe you left another silver coin in the hole 🫢

I have a hunch 45 nickels ring up higher, at least some of them. I found 5 war nickels this year, all in nickel range, and no 1945. Others have commented some ring up much higher, a bit more copper or silver in them.
Some read just like a regular nickel while others do read higher like this one… this is about the third or forth one I have found that read this high.

Come on man!!!!😂🤣
I know you’re kidding, but it reads 21/22 out of the hole too Jim.
War nickels truly are a wild card when it comes to IDing them. As you are aware, its the smoothness of the target that ultimately tells us to dig. By the way, it still doesn’t count 🫢🤣🤣

Some read just like a regular nickel while others do read higher like this one… this is about the third or forth one I have found that read this high.
If you would like, send me your detector and I can tune it up. Once completed, all silver nickels will give the same ID. 🫢

Nice finds I had a 1917 Mercury ring up 30-31 Saturday it was in a real trashy area I thought for sure it was a quarter! so you never know?
Mark

Congrats on the 1954 silver dime and the war nickel. Any hunt where silver shows its face is a good hunt. Since war nickels are 35% silver & dimes are not all silver either, I consider them a silver coin and am happy when I get one.
On the e-Trac over the years, I have had war nickels ring up from 12-13 to 12-19 and some read up to 12-33 which is similar to an old Indian head penny.
Last weekend I was very surprised when I hit a shallow 12-24 signal and it turned out to be a war nickel. I did an air test on it also and it was still 12-24. That was a surprise bonus.
In certain conditions the ground will leach some of the metals out of the coin which can change the composition of it so sometimes you have to take a leap of faith when digging them.
Sometimes they show up at sites that are not very old i.e. 1960s sites because they are a coin that can easily get mixed in with newer Jefferson nickels.

Dave

Congrats on the 1954 silver dime and the war nickel. Any hunt where silver shows its face is a good hunt. Since war nickels are 35% silver & dimes are not all silver either, I consider them a silver coin and am happy when I get one.
On the e-Trac over the years, I have had war nickels ring up from 12-13 to 12-19 and some read up to 12-33 which is similar to an old Indian head penny.
Last weekend I was very surprised when I hit a shallow 12-24 signal and it turned out to be a war nickel. I did an air test on it also and it was still 12-24. That was a surprise bonus.
In certain conditions the ground will leach some of the metals out of the coin which can change the composition of it so sometimes you have to take a leap of faith when digging them.
Sometimes they show up at sites that are not very old i.e. 1960s sites because they are a coin that can easily get mixed in with newer Jefferson nickels.

Dave
Thanks for the explanation Dave. I too have heard the ground conditions can cause this effect.
I have also heard that some have more silver content in them resulting in a higher reading.
I also have found them at newer sites.