Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Dandy of a Dandy Button and My First CW Token!

Erik in NJ

Hunted an 1880's property with permission that obviously has some prior history. My second target on Saturday was my first CW store card/token (not many found in NJ).....thought it was an IH with a hole thru it, but it's got writing around the outside that I can't quite make out (I see RANCZ and a date of 1863 at the bottom, design on other side) ......can anyone id it?

Bit later dug this gorgeous Dandy Button that is gilded and has amazing detail. Must have been straight on edge as pinpointing was way off and I rarely miss, nicked it a bit on back as it was very hard to locate even with X-1 (thank God I only touched the back of it).

Other finds not posted are what appears to be the bowl of a pewter spoon.

Your Civil War token might be a patriotic token. The were two varieties with "REMEMBRANCE OF 1863" The OF on yours is missing due to the hole. You might be seeing the end part of RANCE as RANCZ. The other side can be a number of other things but it is tough to tell since yours is missing so much due to the hole. I don't have a picture of the Remembrance side but maybe you can find something on the Internet (maybe eBay) and compare it to yours. This is Fuld number 244 or 245 (George and Melvin Fuld wrote the book on Civil War tokens). That button is nice too. WTG

Thanks TokenDigger! Awesome id!! I'm sure you're correct in that the first two letters look like "RE" and I can see a pair of M's. I was hoping the hole was part of the token LOL! Thought it was a washer when I dug it (prob used as one :( )....don't come across too many CW tokens or tokens for that matter in these parts - so for me it was a treat! Button looks like 1700's to me and one of the nicer Dandys I've dug.

Thanks again for your quick id!!

Nice button Erik. The token is a great find too.,

[attachment 180189 stooges3curly.gif]

Very sweet button and token my friend.:thumbup:

Probably some more goodies there...and you might as well be the one to find 'em.

I love them old tokens Erik. That colonial era button has some excellent detail for being in the ground so long.

Hi Darrell! Thanks so much for your comments. I love old tokens too -- unfortunately I don't find very many in these parts so this was treat. Yes, the dandy button is surprisingly ornate - must have been a real beauty when it was new. Best, Erik

tree, mend us , find

The token has been id'ed by TokenDigger (thanks!) as a Civil War patriotic token. The obverse reads "REMEMBRANCE of 1863". I'd hoped the hole was part of the token, but it is not. It was unfortunately holed for some reason.