Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A day at the Beach with the ATX

Atlas

Completed my first full day (~6hours) of water/beach hunting with the repaired ATX. The machine ran great.

We went to a beach that has mod/high to high ground mineralization (layers of black sand). The ATX ran smooth and we could even turn the sens. up. I was running 11-12 and my buddy had his at 13. We really didn't need to go any higher than 10 I would say cause we were hitting pull tabs at 15". I stepped into one hole and measured it latter. This was a softer hit but repeatable. I was getting signals off my scoop if it was within 3' of the coil and the eyelets on my wading boots would sound off within about 1.5 ft. so I had to extend the shaft a little and drag the scoop behind. With Frequency scanning we could run within about 25' of each other.

To keep sand out of the cam locks I wrapped them with cut pieces of plastic shopping bags and zip tied them in place. This worked great and no grit got into the cam locks. I am looking for some rubber sheeting material that I think would grip tighter but haven't found it yet. The zip ties were a little difficult to remove as they sinched down tight and I had a hard time getting the clippers onto them. maybe bigger clippers or not so tight.

We dug tons of holes as can be seen from the picture. I usually hunt this area with a VLF and am able to screen the bobby pins, twist ties and bottle caps to some extent so this was a lot of digging I wouldn't usually do. However, the ATX is definitely going deeper.

Got one Titanium ring and a few earrings and a pen knife. The ring was a shallow dry sand find and I think an Ace 250 would have found it.

Check out post:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?96,2038436,2038436#msg-2038436

TheraBand works well - green with a wrap of electrical tape on each end and one strap over the cam nut.

The green works, but I am thinking of trying the thinner, yellow when I buy my next rolls. Perhaps I'll stop in on the local Physical Therapist and check out the difference.

Thanks for the reply. I was given some of this from the PT a while ago and couldn't find it. Nice to know the name. This material will be perfect.

Nice hunt! Isn't it ironic that a lot of folks are scared to use a PI, yet, when water hunting with their VLF detector, will dig all signals. Once you learn the ATX properly, you can pick out the junk targets with some good accuracy and leave them be. The nice thing about a PI, is that what few discrimination abilities it has, remain at depth, with the exception of the iron audio on the ATX, which doesn't read accurately past 6" or so for coin sized iron objects.

Below are last years total coin finds found with my ATX.

Interesting.......glad I work in rehab, as we have lots of that stuff! I will try some. Thanks for the headsup! :thumbup: