Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A day in the life at a 1860's military post.

Rick73

During the 1860's there were several military posts or forts that sprung up in the west and Midwest. I know of a couple of these locations that are nothing more than cornfields now. They saw no battles or skirmishes at all. What was everyday life like. How often were the soldiers paid. Was is cash, coins etc.. There was no place to spend their money unless it was at the fort itself. What would a metal detectorist expect to find. I would imaging there was target practice etc.

A splendid array of relic goodies.

Maybe a gold coin ?

The possibilites are endless as far as what could be found.. remember back then a button or bullet lost or dropped was no big deal, but finding one now would be a very good find.. It's hard to tell what may be lying around waiting to be found.. I sure would be interested in the site if I was you.. since it is a cornfield now, there probably won't be an abundance of new trash to dig either or contend with.. let us know how it goes if you decide to search the site.. be interesting to see what comes out of that area!!
Goodluck!!

kraykepler said:
Sounds like a Dances with Wolves kind
of setting. He had lots of goodies, didn't he?!
kraykepler, you hit the nail on the head. That is exactly the area. I am curious how the soldiers were paid and how often. I can see them pitching pennies for a pastime. The frost won't be gone for 5 months so I have a lot of time to research.