Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A detector that sees Thu iron

Irvin D Burke

Why can't they make a detector to see thru iron like the Wilson R&C I've seen a dealer put a nickel on floor then lay a pair of pliers on top of nickel and get a good tone that you would dig. Wish I still had my Wilson .

When Tabdog was on the forum, he set the lowly Compadre to reject a pair of Vise Grips and yet detect a penny on top of it. None of my others, including the Silver umax could do it. Of course, stunts like this require precise discrimination settings and are rarely used in actual hunting due to the large accumulation of trash. But it's one of the top features of the Compadre and sets it off as more than a bargain priced detector.
I noticed you never said the pliars were rejected when by themselves.

7" one is better at it also if you can find one never used the Wilson but I did testing with the 3 minelabs and compadre a silver ring with a knife on top only detector that could see the ring both north south & east west was the compadre.

of cause in ground its not going to be as deep as the minelabs detecting is about trade off's working out where and what you wish to trade is key to finding the goodies for the most part.

AJ

I got a Compass Judge 2 which is a T/R unit, that and the 77b models are both pretty good at this sort of thing also.

REVIER said:
I got a Compass Judge 2 which is a T/R unit, that and the 77b models are both pretty good at this sort of thing also.
If I remember correctly, my Compass would pick up the pliars, but you would get a hesitation in the audio. It would also ignore small nails but get the goodies under it. The Compadre can be set to duplicate that.

Large pieces of iron like farm machinery will fool 'most' machines,its just the nature of the game,by trying too eliminate that problem you stand a very good chance of missing decent finds,i could try and knock out foil if i used enough discrimination here in the UK but at the same time knock out most of our hammered silver coins which are the main targets that we are after.

Gold items can also come in near the iron range as well and once again if you try and knock it all out bang goes the gold items as well,these party tricks as i call them when some machines can no register a pair of pliers but can get the coin on top,can be slightly skewed.

I personally much prefer to use as little discrimination as possible even if i do dig some iron at least i wont miss good targets either,if in 'doubt the target has too come out' as they say.

Thank you for the response . I did forget to mention he would dic. the pliers first then put nickel under . It's good to know there are other detectors that are good at seeing thur iron .l got a compadre for my grandson so I have one and didn't know it . This is not the site to mention it but I took my explorer xs out with nel hunter coil and found one cw bullet and a 1876 seated dime.

well its not a brand specific forum so :buds:

minelabs work for that sort of hunting probably better than most but no one detector is best otherwise there would only be one detector and we all would use it thank somebody that's not true :clapping:

have fun with the XS and the Compadre both work well :biggrin:

AJ

Tell you what... I just got a new to me Outlaw. This thing knocks out small iron with no problem (bottle caps are GONE!), and the disc drops out nickels, tabs and zincs right at their respective markings.
I think part of the trick in doing so, at least on Tesoros, is in running the concentric coils... That, and using certain model Tesoros, as some reject unwanted targets a bit better than others do.

BTW- for folks having issues with rejecting unwanted targets, I have to ask... Are you using a concentric or a DD coil?

Having used only Tesoros myself, I can sure tell you that it's not just the detector in question, but that the DDs don't disc nearly as well as concentrics do, on any of my Tesoros. I know the trend these days is toward DDs, but if you want accurate discrimination, maybe a concentric will treat you better... ^_^

I just got the 9by8 for my vaq. based on the good advice I got from this form look forward to using it as soon as heat eases up some

Irvin D Burke said:
I just got the 9by8 for my vaq. based on the good advice I got from this form look forward to using it as soon as heat eases up some

Assuming that you had been using a DD or "Widescan", I think you'll find the discrimination to be more accurate and effective with the 9x8, (OOR as Tesoro called it) concentric. The 9x8 is a good coil, though really, so is their plain old 8" concentric. I actually like the old 8" donut and 5.75" concentrics best for all my Tesoros in the places I swing 'em, but I look for coins and jewelry, not nuggets or deep relics. If I want to hunt deeper and the area isn't too trashy or mineralized, then I might use a larger concentric (I just got a nice 10.5" donut!). The Tesoro concentrics will let your discrimination work at its best, at least on Tesoros. Those DDs just do not discriminate as accurately or pinpoint as easily. Of course, everyone has their own favorites and opinion. ^_^

While Tesoros are known to be good discriminators, some are better at it than others. Compadre, though inexpensive and simple, is one of their best at discriminating. Compadres use only concentric coils, and they just happen to be Tesoro's two best coils for discriminating! I find that although the H.O.T. series detectors are deeper than Tesoro's other units, they lack a bit in the refined discriminating quality of some other models. I trust that my new Outlaw will disc as well as my older Bandido II AND Silver Sabre microMAX units. Those have excellent disc., but again, only with the concentric coils attached.

Irvin D Burke said:
Thank you for the response . I did forget to mention he would dic. the pliers first then put nickel under . It's good to know there are other detectors that are good at seeing thur iron .l got a compadre for my grandson so I have one and didn't know it . This is not the site to mention it but I took my explorer xs out with nel hunter coil and found one cw bullet and a 1876 seated dime.

I know this is an older thread but i thought i would share some thoughts.No detector can see a non ferous object that is completely covered by a larger piece of ferous.
The trick is this,the pliers are discriminated with just enough discrim to stop them creating a signal.....this is done with very fine tuning of the discrim function.The coin is then placed under the pliers and the pliers are now placed on top of the coin.Because the pliers are now touching the coin,they have increased in mass enough to create a good diggable signal.If the coin was 0.5 millimeters away from the pliers this "trick" would'nt work.Lets just call it clever marketing.
I know some will still be convinced that a detector can see a good target that is totally covered by iron but if you ask any detector technician,they will tell you otherwise.