Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Farm Field Untouched By Time

miserman

These coins and relics were found in a farm field at the site of an 1870's one-room schoolhouse. The Indian Head has green patina but the others a do not show any ground damage. The coins have not been cleaned in any way. The relics are also in good shape. The brass saddle strap and silver platted spoon came out of the ground just as pictured. The crotal bell still has the attachment at the top and the steel ball inside is somewhat rusty but complete. Does anyone have an idea why this field was so kind to the buried objects? Very unusual for a fertilized farm field.

Attachments

• DE912804-EC8F-456C-9393-BCAAAEAE86FD.jpeg
    DE912804-EC8F-456C-9393-BCAAAEAE86FD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 209
  • F34B8267-4F40-4E65-80C8-0FE838DB72DD.jpeg
    F34B8267-4F40-4E65-80C8-0FE838DB72DD.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Very nice assortment of finds....yeah, and in great condition. I occasionally (not often) recover a wheat or Indian that will look like yours with a mere water rinse, but never a nickel like that one. Typically fertilizer is hard on coins, but maybe that farmer didn't use as much and as often??? Be interesting to see if everything you find there comes out of the ground the same way. HH jim tn

Soil PH and sandy soils can be very nice to targets. Another thought is the school site might have just recently converted to crop ground. I tend to lean toward acidity of the soil theory, I have sites that have never been farmed, still in big timber and the coins are roached.
Nice site, go back.
HH Jeff

Finally, someone dug a 1916D….whoops, wrong denomination!
I’ve had some older wheats come out just as yours but but some (about 1916 and older) get the green patina. I’ve often wondered if its simply the copper used? Has to come from different mines or sources….. yet I’ve had two copper Wheats nearly the same year come out totally different. Nickel tho is really nice. Go back for sure!

Great hunt results! Possibly this school house was on CRP ground and never farmed until recently? Here in Kansas, the farmers use fertilizer, anhydrous, and lime treatments cause many of these coins, especially nickels, to be very difficult to pull detail off of them.