Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A few Deus' for sale lately...

Noticed a few used Deus units going for sale lately. It may cause some concern for some not really getting along with their units very well. But in my opinion I think I will hang on to mine a while yet...I just feel that maybe the next upgrade will address a few things that may be giving some folks "2nd thoughts" about keeping theirs. The Deus just has too much going for it! Very versatile.
JMHO...
Charles

The biggest problem is folks not giving enough time to learning a machine,the more time you spend with a Deus the more it will reward you,its like any detector they all have learning curves,i am still learning things about my DFX and i have that nearly a decade.Trouble is people buy the latest detector expecting it too find more just by taking it out the box and switching it on,of course in the real world its nothing like that.

You will find exactly the same thing happens with all the latest detectors it makes no odds what brand name it is,they spend alot of money chasing the latest offerings that we see in all the glossy adverts with chests of gold and pots of gold coins beside the detectors and this then starts the sales rolling in,but when they find out that it only finds paltry finds then it has to go on the classified adverts.

I don't see that as a factor of dissatisfaction as much as the time of the year and the Deus has been one of the more popular detector recently. Going into Winter people looking to raise some cash with something they may not be able to use for 4 months , then get another or different one. It's only logical that Winter increases supply while decreasing demand and creates a "surplus". Good time to buy if you're in a temperate climate.:)

I see it as both stated comments above. The Deus is a challenging machine to learn at first turn on of the power. But each and every time I take it out I get better at discerning tones. Do I still dig bad things thinking I have a nice target underneath the coil???? You betcha, but this machine will yield one day for me and I will keep her in the stable!

When in your hands for the first time, The Deus can be very frustrating.
It's a machine like any other and we need to understand it's language.
It's a great machine but can be very intimidating on how to use it.
I read the Manual, read Andy's book but the eye opener was going
to Boot Camp which explained much about this machine and how to
set it up. I think some get frustrated right from the git go trying to
set it up and if there not finding goods right away with all the HYPE
this machine has they dump it. The Deus is Awesome and it takes a
little time to figure it out but with each venture out it just gets BETTER!!!
If you have a DEUS and your frustrated, Keep at it and it will come.
I have found some gret items in high trash Iron as this is where I
prefer to use this machine.(HIGH TRASH AREAS) This is where I feel
this machine will whip BUTT with anything that's out there!!
Anybody can CHERRY-PICK!!! Just my thoughts...
silverseeker 2

Takes time to learn any new machine you put your hands on to use. Adding new technology to the mix can add to the frustration. If there was not a learning curve out there then we would not need things like the XP Deus Handbook or the XP Deus Bootcamp that Andy Sabisch is providing. Both help to cut down on the learning curve that is out there with the machine.

I would hope that if people are selling their Deus it is not because of a frustration with learning the new machine as there are many people out here that can help to cut into that frustration with the knowledge they have.

Charlene

Myself I've found you just can't say what might click with you until you've tried it yourself. I've tried a heck of a lot of detectors and some clicked right away while others just weren't my cup of tea. The AT Pro is one I never would have guessed I'd like so much. For me I see the Deus as the one detector to rule them all if you will. I like my E-Trac for those really deep old coins but need my AT Pro for the golden tot lots. The Deus does both very well but takes some understanding to get the best results.

For what it's worth....I have owned 7 machines since I got started in the mid 1980s starting with a Radio Shack model that had no discrimination followed by better models down the road. First serious detector was the Fisher 1265X which I did a lot of odd jobs to save up money for the purchase in 1989. I was 12 when I first used this detector - what a difference it made! It was all I had but remember finding Wheats with it and being overjoyed!!!

A few years later the CZ line was introduced and I remember drooling over the W & E Treasures article where someone field tested the CZ5 and was pulling all kinds of goodies at different places, etc. Finally got one as a graduation present in 1995 and found a lot of gold jewelry in Hawaii - this only fueled the bug for those "hunted out" sites back home! Kept the CZ5 for a long time and dug a LOT of deep iron with it, but every now and then I'd get a deep coin with it which kept me going!

Times got tough around 2000 and had to sell the CZ5...three years later I got a Garrett 250 (?) something - it was OK but didn't have the depth or sensitivity (maybe admitting my inexperience with it) as the analog Fisher machines. Saw a CZ6 in a pawn shop in 2003 and HAD to snag it for the low price of $300 - the pawn broker didn't know how good a machine it was (and still is of course!). I lived in E. Tennessee at this time, and found the site of a CW skirmish - first trip out I found a partial Hotchkiss sabot along with a few fired 3-ringers. It is one hell of a relic machine, and between 2003 and 2013 there wasn't a machine out there that could match it at that price range. I knew there had to be something better for all-purpose hunting, and finally late last year set my sights on a Deus.

It's been almost a year since I picked up a "Deus Lite" setup using the 11 X 13 coil and a set of WS5 phones. Silver started coming almost right away and I had no control box to look at and decide whether or not to dig a target based on VDI. I think for some the control box can be intimidating with all the menu options, bouncy VDIs, GB options, etc. Probably more people would adapt better by starting off with a "Lite" setup and get the controller after they understand the basic functions and audio from the machine. With v3.2, one can choose Full Tone audio or 2,3,4, or 5 tones and not to mention Pitch for gold prospecting. You have enough options with a Lite setup to do ANY type of hunting and, with patience; once you've mastered the Lite - THEN get the controller and visit those sites again to pull MORE COINS!!!!

Just my two cents though! :beers:

Being a 5 year detecting amateur, I have been experimenting with several detectors and having a blast. My first thought of the Deus is it looks like a toy...NOT! I have had no issues figuring out the Deus. I love it and it has become my go to detector. Light weight, fast fast fast recovery, easy to change setting in programs. good target separation, multiple frequencies, deep target acquisition, switch programs instantly, did I mention fast recovery? And I have more to learn! What a cool light weight multipurpose detector.

I've owned my Deus now for several months. Love how the machine operates. Unfortunately that pinpoint button quit working for me so I called XP for assistance. I was told to go to the store and buy some of those little glue backed pads you put on the feet of furniture, cut it to the size of the button, stick it on, and that should take care of the problem. I asked how they came up with this solution and it appears many people have problems with the buttons not working right for them. Now, had I paid $300 for the machine I might expect to have a design flaw like this. When spending over $1,700 I anticipate the quality to be on a par with other high end detectors.

I was told if I didn't want to give the button stick-ons a try I could of course send it back for repairs. But I figure if the pinpoint button quit working then the buttons going between two different programs will be next. And then probably the pinpoint button again. And what do I do after the warranty runs out? See, they're not going to fix the problem, they're simply going to temporarily remedy the situation till it fails the next time which it surely will do. Ongoing problems like this could lead to seeing Deus detectors for sale used.

Beez, I'd send it in for a repair/replacement--you're right, we should expect high-end gear for the price. There's no doubt the Deus excels, but as we've all seen here and there, there could be some physical improvements. You'll want the button repaired should you decide to sell it, trade it, etc. down the road.

The buttons are notoriously hard to push (at least when the remote is new), and there are several people out there, including me who've stuck on those self adhesive clear vinyl bumpers you can buy cheap at the hardware store. I did this because it helps with dexterity with gloves on and gives a focused pressure when the button is pressed. I also attached two to the headphone adapter so I can tell which two buttons to press to turn off the headphones without taking the headphones off. Personally, I love having them on the remote until a better product is made. So, there's no need to cut down any furniture foot pads, just pick up some vinyl bumpers as shown below.

The Deus has been out in the UK for about 4-5 years and i have never heard anything about button problems,so i would think it could be just a one off problem but it certainly is not a 'many people' problem as suggested by someone.You will find the odd problem with almost anything that is man made its just the way it is,but i dont think XP would suggest a 'bodge' job with sticky plastic things.

[size=x-large]======================
NOTE
======================
[/size]​

This thread started with Charles's observation that he thought there was a increase in the number of Deus's being listed for sale (resale) lately and he wondered if there was a message in that observation and people posted responses to that.

Then a reply was posted that took the thread in an entirely different direction in which a "common problem" associated with the Pinpoint button failing became the focal point. Due to the subsequent threads and PM's that were made on that topic, they have been removed for the most part. If BEEZ404 wants to start a new thread specifically on issues associated with the Pinpoint button (or any of the Deus buttons), that would be welcomed and allow us to get input directly from XP on the topic.

If this thread that Charles started is "hijacked" again and the button issue revisited, the posts will be removed . . . not trying to censor posts here but hijacking threads is not on the Guvner's accepted practice list so please adhere to this position.

The level of service reported here and on other forums by XP Americas is what prompted the response it did to BEEZ404's posts and not a desire to impune his integrity as was alluded to or a blind allegiance to the XP brand. If there is an issue, by all means let others know and this is one of the best venues to do that on.

If others have issues buttons, feel free to post on BEEZ404's new thread.

The reply below was left as it does contain an innovative way to make the buttons more manageable when using gloves . . . . as they say, treasure hunters are pretty darn innovative!

Andy Sabisch

I don't think the button issue or service or performance have anything to do with the number of Deus we are seeing for sale . There are nearly as many individuals posting WTB for the Deus , not just on these classifieds but other sites as well . The prices are more of the issue. Why MSRP and reality are so divergent is poor marketing. I understand the difference for dealers to have a little margin to work with but shortly after introduction many units were available that were new or "demo" units for 25% less than retail---same with the CTX. Markets determine price , especially in the pre-owned area and it appears the Deus has reached a level where 1100 or 1200 is the resting zone. More , and you're going to sit on it , less , it seems to move quickly.