Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A few more keepers for 2014

Ytcoinshooter

Another late year hunt yesterday 12/22 trying to boost my totals but more importantly to satisfy my urge to detect. Off to a park that has been a magnet for detectorists. It dates from the 1880's, is over 100 acres and I know it well. Over the years I've made many memorable finds from large cents, gold jewelry, Sterling in all forms and Barber coin spills. Some 20 years ago when the skating pond was drained and dredged I spent every day after work until dark in the muck chasing V nickels, indian cents, Barbers and jewelry. Once I got a contemporary counterfeit of an 8 real when some there was some major earth being moved in another section. So today I headed out with low expectations because anything predating a memorial cent would be a victory. 20 minutes in with a small coil in the brush and tangle away from the athletic fields I find a wheat cent then the 1923 dime. It is an earlier date that I always prefer finding. My day is made with the dime so I decided to work my way into more areas that are tough to maneuver in. Next up was this 8 pound hunk of lead...at the current 84 cents a pound, not bad. I also keep all the fishing weights I find and I'll get around to scrapping it all. I had to stop and take it back to my car. Put that in my relic elite bag and would of dragged my pants to my ankles! Not good in a public park.... It's got to be the biggest hunk I've found. I have all kinds of lead incl small bars or strips from colonial encampments that were used to make round shot but nothing this massive.
Continuing in the brush I get a nice coin hit and this sobriety medal ,zinc cent and an odd glass pipe turn up - 3 different signals, pretty recent drops. I checked the glass tube to see why it signaled and found some wire mesh inside that I forced out with a twig before I decided to take it home for a photo. Because those item were all at the base of the same tree I figured one person struggling with his personal demons lost them. The last good targets were 3 wheat cents pretty close together where some shrubs were cut back. I also found this heavy, well made hook or fastener. if it was related to horse tack - hardware I wouldn't be surprised, maybe someone knows? the long white & gold cylinder thing I believe is make up and not an E-cigg.
From the start I was hoping my low expectations might be met with a Barber dime, maybe another time. Considering I had written this place off as not worth my gasoline these days it turned out well. It's not that I believe it has been completely hunted out but (years ago) after many trips of diminishing returns to the time invested I put it on the back burner. Brush cutting and landscaping / earthmoving are a few reasons to revisit previous sites. New detectors, coils and techniques are the other reasons I revisit previously hammered public sites. I call this "bottom feeding", looking for missed scraps. Much of what I posted up for silver coinage this year came to that way. Stubborn Yankee persistance! It's almost time for family and friends celebrating holiday cheer.
HH - Bruce

What a great hunt and post! :please: That sure is a chunk of lead alright!

Your finds that hit me the hardest was that glass pipe and sobriety token....I could see in my minds eye the person who lost his battle under that tree....gives a guy the shivvers it does as we track invisible people through the ages by finding what they dropped in a certain location...Innocent totlot clad and whatnot is nothing than a mere careless kid moment, nobody missed that stuff too much if at all, a guy doesnt think about that at all.. a days pay (or more) in old silver, or a wedding ring is quite another type of feeling, somebody certainly missed that and the loss brought sadness and impacted their Life....even a set of car keys on the beach...you know somebody had a bad day!...

But when a guy finds something like this pipe and sobriety coin...well Brother, that just really brings it all home right down to a guys core...to imagine you were at the same spot as they were fighting a major demonic battle, and losing it... just at a different time...could have possibly affected their decision had you been there at the same moment when they were?.....:sadwalk: Never expected this train of thought when I started in this sport...very strange feeling to be tracking people's misfortunes through the fog of Time and sharing a bit of their Life..:shrug:

Merry Christmas to you and yours Bruce! Its been a hoot this year watching you work!:clapping:
Mud

Your an animal with that v3i!!! Hopefully I learn mine as well as you've learned yours. Great job as usual and entertaining story also. Love it. Good luck Bruce.

Hey quicksilver, take your time learning the V3i it's worth the effort. When I first got mine I knew I was missing items and had to figure out settings for where I hunt and to SLOW way down.
Yesterday I used only the v rated 5.3 eclipse that I recently purchased. I also have the v rated 6x10 but with my DFX I remember the 5.3 (6") concentric giving me an edge in depth when comparing both. Seperation is a strong point of the 6x10 and the 5.3 does ok there. After testing in my yard I had a good idea what the capabilities of both are on the V. I'd say for my style of coin hunting the V3i fits perfectly. My ATPro is a complimentary detector that offers "bang for the buck" features & performance in a package I can submerge. Besides, it's simplicity is a nice change of pace.
HH - Bruce

Mud, you said it so very well and I've had the same view regarding lost valuables. Someones loss, misery, bad luck was the vehicle that deposited the find gave me cause for the happy dance. Especially when it's jewelry and I take a moment to reflect how a ring, bracelet or whatever got to be where I found it and the emotions that were attached to the loss. As for the token and pipe, yeah thats tough. I've seen substance abuse and dependance ruin a few lives but fortunately no one related by blood to me. One girl I seriously dated in my young and wild days would take a few swings at me if she didn't have her fill when I wanted to leave the bar. She went on to totally implode her life and lose a government job with awesome benefits and defined lifelong pension…and free medical!
One thing I caution fellow detectorists about are needles & syringes that often are encountered while detecting.
I loves this hobby and the friends and contacts that I have made in the course of pursuing it are the real treasure.
Mud, All the best to you and yours now and always.
HH-Bruce