Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A few technical challenges for my shaft for my Mirage PI

Mega

My new shaft that i bought from Ebay has arrived today from Bulgaria,for my Mirage PI control box and coil setup,its a perfect solution for the job in hand as it provides all the major components rather than say bodging from other detectors or plumbing fittings that type of thing.

One of the problems that i still need to sort out is that the foam grip that goes just above the 'S' bend come separate so one has to slide the foam down to the correct location,so what is the best method of sliding the foam grip down the shaft without damaging it ??? would washing up liquid be the best method or something else.

Also one last thing,although the control box will be mounted onto the arm cup as this gets around the problem of mounting a flat control box onto a round shaft as the shaft was designed to address this problem because the arm cup has a similar flat surface so that both the control box can be mounted against another flat surface.What i am not sure about is would i mount the control box as high as possible on the arm cup to counter balance a possible heavier coil or mount the control box flush with the top of the shaft ??? My way of thinking about having it level with the top of the shaft is to stop the control knobs from being altered if that makes sense by getting knocked.

Should have it all assembled either later today or tomorrow,only one thing i am still not sure about is the fact everything is black on the detector ie shaft coil but the control box is in a brushed alloy finish control box,which looks a bit odd,may try and find or get a black control box cover so that everything is the same colour.

Once it is finished i will try and get a photo or two up,was hoping to get it all finished prior to tomorrow as i am out on a roman site that is about as mineralized as it can get,its like a wet beach but 70 miles inland,but its the most prolific roman site that anyone can detect on,but also the most challenging site as well,and only a Pulse machine will do the job.This will be the biggest challenge for the Mirage machine,but it should take it all in its stride.

A quick update,just had a reply back from the Ebay seller,the instructions had been left out on how to put the grip on,you use warmish water on the shaft and foam grip and it should slip on the shaft with no problems what so ever.Thta part should be finished later tonight,then all i need to do is bolt on the control box to the arm cup and think i will make it level with the top of the shaft to save the knobs from getting knocked.

Project almost finished,just a few minor tweaks and it will be totally finished.

TwistedTig3r said:
I use Windex window cleaner. It dries easy and clean with no residue.

Many thanks for that info,have just used a small amount of washimng up liquid under a warm running tap and it slipped on very easy,will let it dry out over night and it should in theory stay in place.

Hope to be using it for the 1st full days session tomorrow,so thanks again for your suggestion on using that product :thumbup:

Hi Mega,
Should it not stay put, just peel one end back a tad and add a tiny smudge of silicone - that should take care of things.
I buy mountain bike handle bar grips that are quite large in diameter.
It gives the detector a complete different "feel" - just go to any good bicycle shop and grab onto a few different grips until you find one that really feels comfortable.
hh
skookum