Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A find that made my day after 5 hours of very little to show...

NealNoIN

The last hour of digging was the best with a C.W. bullet, metal KY drivers license AND this gold 1895 R.W. Knott prize for debate with the winner's name etched on the back.
I could not find anything about the J.C.I. at the top of the front of the cross. Google talked about Junior Chamber International (Jaycees) but they weren't founded until 1915 so that's not it. It weighs in at 2.8 grams but I don't know the purity yet.

n/t

Awesome find Neil! Congratulations on the gold!

R.W. Knott was the editor of the Evening Post in Louisville, KY. He apparently ran it into some substantial debt - $110,000 in 1904!!! All the while claiming the paper was doing great and even said the circulation was bigger than the Louisville Courier Journal when it wasn't. The only John L. Noble I can find in KY was a Lt. in the 13th KY Cav.(Confederate). He died in 1896, one year after this award was presented. Surely there was another John L. Noble around here somewhere.

n/t

Great find - I was thinking that it was probably a high school debate contest, possibly Jefferson County Indiana? Since schools are county level functions that might be the case. Just a guess.

n/t