Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A First for Me...

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

My buddy Kenneth and I were about to call it a day after a relatively unproductive hunt - a few clad coins and some small pieces of scrap copper and brass to go in the recycle bin. While heading to my house for Kenneth to drop me off, Kenneth spotted what appeared to be a gravel parking area between a church parking lot and a bank. I really was not enthused about the potential of this site but I said "What the heck, lets give it a try". It had rained the previous day so even though there was nearly an inch of hard gravel on the surface, once past that it was easier digging. I dug a few clad dimes and then I got a 78-79 VDI on my V3i at 4.5 inches. I was thrilled to see that it was not a clad dime but a Barber Dime! Although I've dug a few Barber Dimes in my 35 years of detecting, this is the FIRST New Orleans mint coin that I have ever dug. It's an 1899-O. I have no idea what that Master item is. I suspect that it is old though. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Attachments

• master&1899-0.jpg
    master&1899-0.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 172
  • 1899-OBarber D Rev.jpg
    1899-OBarber D Rev.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 179
Its almost amazing how something good frequently comes from a "least expected" spot. Good find on the o Barber. HH jim tn

Thanks Jim tn. Agreed. I remember a similar site - across the street from a church - that was a last resort to hunt. It just didn't look good at all. It turned out to be one of the best lots that I ever hunted. Between Kenneth and I we dug over 60 silver coins. I dug 37 plus several Buffalo nickles and over 300 wheat cents. You just never know until you swing the coil. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

What a nice find Blind Squirrel, I bet that made your day, 1899! Now that's old in my book.
Earlier this year I found a 1914 Barber dime in mint condition, never expected anything like that, now my wife wears this coin on a necklace.

I was walking across a gravel surfaced road to cross over to a second spot. F5 sounded high and I dug down to find this turquoise ring. Altho squished and the stone was “dehydrated” I had it fixed for $25 and now appraised at $100. Never over look anyplace!! I hope someday to find silver older than a merc.....nice finds!!!!!

Howdy Still Looking 52--
I was walking across a gravel surfaced road to cross over to a second spot. F5 sounded high and I dug down to find this turquoise ring. Altho squished and the stone was “dehydrated” I had it fixed for $25 and now appraised at $100. Never over look anyplace!! I hope someday to find silver older than a merc.....nice finds!!!!!

Howdy Ronstar--
Thanks. Nice score on the turquoise ring and the repair. Hunting vacant lots or abandoned homes in the old part of town is the recipe for finding older coins and neat relics. At least that is my experience. I hope you find some old silver - or gold! Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

What a nice find Blind Squirrel, I bet that made your day, 1899! Now that's old in my book.
Earlier this year I found a 1914 Barber dime in mint condition, never expected anything like that, now my wife wears this coin on a necklace.
Howdy Still Looking 52--
Thanks. Yes, the pre-1900 coins have been few and far between for me lately. And it DID make my day! It's great to present one of our finds to the wife. I'm sure that she proudly wears that 1914 Barber Dime necklace. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Great find squirrel you never know I’m always looking for a spot that could produce some of those O mint barbers are key dates I found a 1897 O 660,000 minted! Check it.
Mark

Verry cool I allways enjoy when a seasoned detectorist finds something they never have dug. Congratulations again.
Thank you michael NY--
It was nice to finally dig that elusive "O" mint coin. My buddy, Kenneth, eyeballed an 1838-O Liberty Seated Dime at our relic site - an old Texas trail. My buddy Roger, after I trained him on the DFX, dug a 1902-O Barber Quarter at a site that I took him to. My buddy Joe, dug a beautiful 1903-O Barber dime at an old church camp in western NY. I guess that my 1899-O Barber dime was just MY turn. Hahaha Best of luck and ...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Great find squirrel you never know I’m always looking for a spot that could produce some of those O mint barbers are key dates I found a 1897 O 660,000 minted! Check it.
Mark

Thanks Mark. Good going on the 1897-O! You are correct - there are some O mint rareties in the Barber dime series. A few years ago I completed and sold the Barber dime set. As I recall, I paid good $$$$ for a nice 1895-O. The big $$$ set, that I completed and sold was the Liberty Seated dime series (1837-1891, all years and mints). Check out the 1871-CC thru 1874-CC. It took me a while to find the right 1874-CC, I'll tell you that. Best of luck and...
Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel