Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Frequency Question

Swagman

I will be asking alot of questions in the next few weeks so please bear with me. I do not know if this has been asked before. If it has, just guide me to the correct link.

But, I just purchased a Teknetics G2 and I was going over the specs again. I noticed that the G2 and T2 have 19.2 KHz and 13 KHz Transmit Freq respectively. While the others in the Teknetics line have 7.8KHz. Does this freq have to do with the most optimal targets they can detect?

Example Coins vs. relics, Relics vs. gold, etc.

I mainly want to hunt things like coins and jewelry.

Thanks in advance for any information.

HH and IHYAFOS (I Hope You All Find Old Stuff) :)

Typically lower frequencies do better on silver and most coins. Higher freq usually do better on gold and such. The Tek G2 does really well on all of it. Specially the small gold. First Texas has really made a good machine in the G2 and Gold Bug Pro's. The older gold bugs didn't do well on silver as the new Pro models/G2 do.
Hope that helped.

Here are some suggestions or reminders I share with individuals, or in groups or in seminars:

Some things we hear about or read about are factual and important to know, to learn, and to master.

Some things we hear about or read are sometimes misstatements made by someone trying to help who still doesn't know the facts.

Some things we hear about or read are sometimes incorrect statements made to help sell a product (fibbing you might say).

Some things we hear about or read are helpful for some hobbyists to learn and use, but only if it applies to their type of hunting needs and sites they will search. For others it doesn't mean much, or shouldn't.

Sometimes we take a word or numeric identification of control functions and presume it means what it says or looks like it means. What we need to do with any detector we own or test is learn all of its strengths in order to get the best performance out of it. Doing so, we need to be alert to it weaknesses as well. They all have them as there isn't a faultless detector made.

Swagman said:
I will be asking alot of questions in the next few weeks so please bear with me.

I just purchased a Teknetics G2 and I was going over the specs again. I noticed that the G2 and T2 have 19.2 KHz and 13 KHz Transmit Freq respectively. While the others in the Teknetics line have 7.8KHz. Does this freq have to do with the most optimal targets they can detect?

Example Coins vs. relics, Relics vs. gold, etc.

I mainly want to hunt things like coins and jewelry.
Don't hesitate to ask questions or post about your finds. I will suggest, as I have all along, that it's helpful to others reading your post to tell us which model you're using, the Sensitivity setting, Discriminate setting, Ground balance read-out and any particular (or other mode, tone, etc. features, if other than a G2).

The 'original' Gold Bug from decades ago operated at 19.2 kHz, but I think the current models is listed simply as about 19 kHz. Regardless, all of the Teknetics detectors, or operating frequencies, will find low-conductive gold nuggets and gold jewelry, low-conductive US coins like nickels, mid to high-conductive US coins like copper and silver and clad and zinc pennies, dimes, quarters, halves, dollars, and the older odd-denomination coins. They will also find a broad assortment of 'relics' which can read all over the place from iron to low to mid to higher conductive ranges.

Yes, IN THEORY, the higher frequency models, such as the G2 at 19 kHz might have an edge on lower conductive targets and lose a bit of depth and performance on the larger silver coins. Yes, the lower frequency models might have a slight edge when searching for high-conductive silver coins. The T2, for me, is a perfect exception as it works well for everything.

If you want the most out of your G2, just use the 11" and 5" DD coils, the highest Sensitivity, Discrimination setting that's right for you, learn the best sweep speed for the site, then have fun. Site selection is more important than worrying about the operating frequency.

Monte

13khz In the past most people say lower (ie: 3 to 7 ish khz) does better on Silver. I tend to agree..if your only hunting Coins a lower frequency would over all be better..but in our varied hunting the 13 and 19 seem to do ok. I myself wish F/T would come out with a 3 to 6 KHZ frequency T2.