Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A great day at the Civil War trenches with the Deus in 4KHz!

The Wolf

I've been trying to learn my new Deus and all the nifty things it can do. I think I'm finally getting the hang of it thanks to you guys on here that have shared all the feedback and observations. I had a few hours to kill yesterday so I headed out in the rain, down to the "button patch" to see what I could come up with.

This site is a huge Union camp in the middle of a thick pine forest. It's surrounded by standing earthworks & trenches and has been pounded for years, especially by me and my digging buds. :lol: Those good, "dig me" signals are pretty tough to sniff out, but I usually come home with a button every time I go.

I've been reading up on some program tweaks. Especially the 4KHz program that CZ & Duke have posted about. I loaded the program and just had to give it a shot. I picked an area to start from that has been productive in the past, then picked an area of interest in the middle of the thick woods. I plugged it in the GPS & hunted with the new 4KHz program all the way there to see what it would do.

The first iffy signal came in pretty clear, about 8" down popped out the a .69 musket ball. Then rechecked the hole with the pinpointer and there was another one. A few minutes later, I got another good signal showing around 60 on the VDI, a nice .58 Minie at about 8" again. Got a few more bullets, the tiny buck ball which came in super-loud, and another funny signal. Dug down 10" or so and found the weird cast brass piece with the rusty nail in it. Maybe a gun part?

When I reached the end/turn around point, I changed frequencies to 12KHz and dropped Reactivity to 1 with everything else the same, and headed back. A few feet later, I found the Eagle I button. It came in at a clear 75 and down about 6-7" or so. Then I managed a couple more bullets on the way out.

I'm liking the new machine, and really liking the new 4KHz program. It seems to be a bullet killer, and I especially like the VDI numbers in this program. But with the 4KHz, the bullets come in around 55-60 and buttons are around 70-75. I like them numbers! I experimented on a few targets with different freqs and Reactivity/Silencer settings with a few tweaks to Sens and TX also. I really couldn't tell a difference in depth between Reactivity at 1 or 2 in 4KHz, but I feel like I got less iffy signals at 2. The 12KHz program seems to like Reactivity on 1 and Silencer on -1, but I will play with this some more. Also I feel the need to drop the TX to 2 in 12KHz, just for stability. I'm still developing my technique, but I'm getting there.

Thanks for looking. Enjoy the pics. HH

Pics of the trenches and camp

Wow super finds!

Great post and info...Thanks.

I had to laugh when you said your "getting there", really? I say your there! Heck if you get any better there will be nothing left!

Good job.

Like the location as well, seems off the beaten path, is it known as in other detecting there much?

Jim

a few more pics of the whats-it and the bullets all clean

Sleepyjim said:
Wow super finds!

Great post and info...Thanks.

I had to laugh when you said your "getting there", really? I say your there! Heck if you get any better there will be nothing left!

Good job.

Like the location as well, seems off the beaten path, is it known as in other detecting there much?

Jim

Thanks Jim. I will post more observations as I go and try to give some back to you guys, as I feel we all are in the same learning curve here.

This is one of those spots that people "used to know about"...meaning they hunted it and forgot about it. This whole area, maybe 200+ acres, was logged about 20 years ago and hunted hard. Then the trees grew back and folks forgot about it. I've made some of my best finds here, and have really hit it hard with my previous machines. To go in there with a new machine, and dig a bunch of targets is amazing to me. I love the Deus!

I bet you are lovin'it at that site not to forget you fondness for the mighty Dues. Yea, I think 4KHz is the way to go for relics and deep coins. They are some great finds and keep us posted.

Try a Disc of 1 instead of 4.

Sounds like you are getting a good grip on the Deus - fantastic day of hunting you had there! Sometimes those "iffy" signals in Reactivity = 1 are targets at the fringe detection range - in a place like that I would dig everything above 20 on the VDI in 4 kHz.

Great hunt! You should go back there and pound it some more!