Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A great day for silver!

INVASCdigger

OK...I'm a believer in tweaking the ground balance. After getting the advice to lower my ground number 15 to 20 numbers, I spent the day in an athletic field where I've had good luck in the past. My plan was to test the theory that the depth would increase with the tips that I've received on this forum. Well, the evidence is in the photo. I dug numerous wheats and silver at depths that I don't believe I've reached before. I have to admit, though, that the 3 quarters were in the same hole and had to be a pocket spill. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have found them without the "tweaking", but you just never know. The other coins were very deep...close to 8, maybe even 9 inches. The sterling silver pin is a US Navy Nuclear Submariner's service pin and is 2 1/2" long.. The 2 stars at the bottom, I assume, are for tours of duty on the sub. It appears that there are mounting places for a total of 6 tours. If anyone has other or additional information regarding the pin, please let me know. The pin wasn't as deep...about 4 inches, but it was on it's side (standing upright), which gave it an iffy signal. I can't wait to get back into some of my other "worked out" places. This is a great forum for learning more about the AT Pro.
INVASCdigger[attachment 219397 silver.jpg]

Looks like a good hunt! congrats on the silver. I was a sailor but not a sub sailor so I can't help you there best of luck in your future hunts.

Wow that's a great day indeed. So if I understand it right after you obtain the correct ground balance number, you manually lower it by 15-20 numbers? does this give it a negative offset or a positive offset? I was always under the impression that you could gain depth with a slight positive ground balance offset. I'm curious and always looking for an edge on the beat up parks I hunt.
HH Butch NY

B.RATNY said:
Wow that's a great day indeed. So if I understand it right after you obtain the correct ground balance number, you manually lower it by 15-20 numbers? does this give it a negative offset or a positive offset? I was always under the impression that you could gain depth with a slight positive ground balance offset. I'm curious and always looking for an edge on the beat up parks I hunt.
HH Butch NY

According to the tip that I got from "vanner" on this forum, and I'll quote his tip....."On the tweaking ground balance,, its manually raise it to get a better reading on low conductors...and lower it to get a better reading on high conductors". Since we don't operate with a threshold, it's difficult to tell if you're working with positive or negative offset, but my thinking is that when you lower the number, you create positive offset, and raising it does the opposite. If you have a test garden, you might want to experiment with it. HH!
INVASCdigger

The pin is indeed a Submarine patrol pin for a an SSBN or ballistic missile submarine. I served on one for 5 years. The sailor gets a gold star for his second successful deterrent patrol, the pin counts for the first patrol. After 6 patrols the gold ones are replaced with a silver star signifying 5 successful patrols. Congrats on a great hunt.

Wow ! A three silver quarter pocket spill .... don't get much better than that ! Congrats !!

Now I'm wondering if I will pull out some gold ringage if I manually go UP on the ground balance. Yesterday, I dropped the number manually by 5 and did find a silver ring, .925 CHINA, down about 3".

Tony R said:
The pin is indeed a Submarine patrol pin for a an SSBN or ballistic missile submarine. I served on one for 5 years. The sailor gets a gold star for his second successful deterrent patrol, the pin counts for the first patrol. After 6 patrols the gold ones are replaced with a silver star signifying 5 successful patrols. Congrats on a great hunt.

Thanks Tony R! That's great to know. Can I assume that you own an identical pin? Were you ever stationed at the Charleston, SC Navy yard? HH
INVASCdigger

I do own an identical pin with 1 silver star. My boat was homeported in Charleston, but we made patrols out of Kings Bay Georgia.

I see everyone talking about lowering ground balance 20 numbers lower manually. Will this work for finding gold also or is this going to not perform as well for gold

Great finds. Send your story to into Garrett:thumbup: In the last year I have tried adjusting my GB down 5 in a few hunts, . Manually adjusting your GB that much from Auto seems like your stretching it, but if you find the Silver with those settings in an area that You know you've pounded before and I mean you know every blade of grass, then it's worth considering. If it's hotter on Silver that way maybe a old test garden would tell a little more?

A fantastic day for silver, I'd say!

My theory for the reason you can give the detector 15-20 points of negative GB is because the AT is so stable in the first place. This detector has had no instability issues anywhere for me, even at full sensitivity.

You had a great day, Congrats..
Could you run down the mode, and settings you used, just curious??
Thanks

sonnydigs said:
Thanks

Glad to, sonnydigs: Pro mode...Zero...Iron Disc 32...no discrimination...sensitivity maximum unless there's too much chatter, then I back off by 1 bar...GB in auto, then GB manually and back off the number 10 to 20 numbers giving the machine more punch in depth. I leave Iron Audio off when searching, but turn it on to check iffy targets. I live in the Charleston, SC area where the soil is pretty sandy, so I can use maximum sensitivity most of the time. If you live in an area of high ground mineralization, you may have to set sensitivity even lower yet.

INVASCdigger said:
sonnydigs said:
Thanks

Glad to, sonnydigs: Pro mode...Zero...Iron Disc 32...no discrimination...sensitivity maximum unless there's too much chatter, then I back off by 1 bar...GB in auto, then GB manually and back off the number 10 to 20 numbers giving the machine more punch in depth. I leave Iron Audio off when searching, but turn it on to check iffy targets. I live in the Charleston, SC area where the soil is pretty sandy, so I can use maximum sensitivity most of the time. If you live in an area of high ground mineralization, you may have to set sensitivity even lower yet.

Thanks for the settings, will give it a go.
Happy hunting.