Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Hot MXT !?!

srf2112

No, not stolen I mean a harder/deeper hitting machine. I digress . . .I just recently picked up a nice MXT 300. I had been using another std MXT for about a year and a half until I ran into some bad luck (ripoffs) and had to replace it. Well I've been out on a couple of long hunts with it now and I swear this machine hits noticeably harder on nickels than my previous machine. I have often read of the "hot machine" concept but have always taken it with a grain of salt. Since I'd never had the nescessary experience to form a valid opinion (i.e. used two of the same model machine/coil) I'd always wondered if it was more wishful thinking than fact. Well I'm here to tell you that the polls are in (for me) and I'm a believer that it's a reality. I ran my old MXT hard for a year and a half and am very aware of how it responds to nickels in a wide variety of environments and this newer MXT bangs em out even harder. Using the 5.3 coil (the very same coil I ran on my old MXT), a couple of times I was sure the target was a pulltab or other trash from the signal but since i had to dig it to get a feel for the new machine I did . . and they were both nickels! One target was 4" down in some hard pack and I'd have sworn from the signal it was a pulltab just below the surface. . .again, nickel. At a gain of +2 one nickel overloaded the signal from 1"+ down. I'm just getting rolling again after an extended (forced) layoff from MD'ing and I can't wait to get this machine out to some good sites. Has anyone else here noticed this to be a fact also, particularly with the MXT ? . . I'd like to hear your experiences. If it hits harder on the nicks you know what else it should "see" better . . gold !

Detectors are made up of a LOT of electronic components. Every one of those components has an acceptable performance tolerance. If every component in your MXT 300 happens, by chance, to perform at exactly the specified level, your machine can possibly be perceptibly hotter than the norm.

Manufacturers try to make consistently

Another possibility is that the coil is more in sync with the detector.

Joel-Winnipeg said:
Another possibility is that the coil is more in sync with the detector.
Yes that could be but that would still make the detector "better" in some way as it's the same 5.3 coil I used on the old one. Oh well it's hardly been a scientific test and comparison. I still have to try out some other coils at some more sites and lifes getting busy so that may take awhile. I'll keep you posted with my completely un-scientific results when I have them. Thanks for the input both of you.

I have the older MXT & in my soil nickles are always 18 or 20 on the vdi, most pull tabs are at 22. The only time I dig a 22 is at an old site because I have found buffs at that range also most of the gold rings that I have found hit at 20 as well, most of them have been mens rings. I do find a lot of nicks, once at a camp ground I pulled out 100 with in a three foot area.

I've had gold rings at 22, 24, and 28. It's hard not to dig those signals.
John

I'm not an electronics person, but I have heard of Electronic tech savvy people being able to 'peak' electronic devices.
Where all of the components match as best as they can.
Kind of like 'blue-printing' an engine on a car, I suppose.

I'll be taking it out this weekend hopefully and going through a couple of other coils and some other spots. I'll see what it does . .