Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A hunt for a different kind of target

tvr

Got a call that a friend needed to find the cap on his septic tank. He kind of thought he knew about where it might be but had dug several holes and had not found it. The cap has a big iron loop on it to lift it. Sure, sounds like something I could tackle with the F75LTD; deep and very good at iron ID.

This yard is used to host a lot of parties and has a lot of structures added to it (think constructed arches, benches, plant boxes and lots of dropped nails, screws and brackets as things were built). The trash level was as expected, very high. We dug a few groupings of several nails and screws that showed as large target areas. So I changed strategy a bit.

Best thing I did was to bring a three foot long 1/8 inch diameter piece of music wire to use as a ground probe. Any targets or target groupings that looked large, we probed the ground and if the rod went in two feet or more without hitting anything solid, we moved on.

After about an hour of searching, I got a large target with an ID of 57 to 58; pretty consistent one number bounce on the ID and it traced about 5 to 6 inches in size. Not ID'ing in the expected range, it was still a large sized target, so we probed. The wire probe stopped on a solid target about 1 foot down; so we dug. It was the cap that we were looking for.

I was a bit surprised at the target ID of 57 to 58 on an iron lift handle. Not sure if it is the alloy or if it is the ring shape on the lift handle that makes it ID that high. In either case, it was mission accomplished.