Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A lake problem

Merlin cadogan

Hello to all the regulars on this great forum, I haven't posted for a year of two, but I'be been detecting lots! I scuba detected a lake yesterday, (very cold!) The problem was the bottom was covered in about 15cm or more of sediment and slime. I know where a £4k ring was lost a year ago. I didn't have a short dhaft on my detector so it was a case of wading underwater, (bit weird!) and needless to say I found and recovered only a few targets.
I wonder if anyone (scuba detector, mud puppy etc) has got any bright ideas on how to hunt in this very challenging lake? I know there is great stuff in there, but the slime is killing me...
Thank you :)

There you are you beauty! :beers: I was just bragging about you and that nugget you found not 3 days ago to a guy up on the Prospecting forum!

Is there a lot of carp in this lake of yours? If so, take a few big #10 cans of kernel corn, like from the grocery store, and liberally scatter a lot of corn out in the place you think the ring is at...all those carp will pile in there and completely clean all the silt and weeds out of that area right down to the hardpack...you may have to keep seeding that specific area for a week, if you do, they will clear it all out for you...I do this off the end of my Dads dock every year so he can get his boat in and for the grandkids to swim in a nice area...

If no carp, then you sort of got to just get in there with a rake and get to work, pulling all the weeds and mud out of there to the best of your ability...if you have a boat with a motor, you can drag an anchor through there lots of times, you can also use the prop wash to blow everything clear..if theres no natural current and a lot of mud, you will be hunting blind, so it might be more of a deal where you pull all of that deep mud through a screen type of sifter, like a screen configured waste pail? as you crawl along the bottom without your detector at all, just crawling along blind in the mud pushing all that mud into the pail and hoping to get lucky...:shrug: this would work if you know right about where the ring went down....its not gonna be fun, and theres typically leeches down there in the deep mud you will encounter that will consider you a treat! Scubadetector and Royal as well as Mikie have hunted this kind of lake I bet...you might want to PM them...Royal hangs out down on the 20th Century Tales forum, Mikie on Views, and as far as Scubadee? you are in the right place!...
Mud

MUD,
That's a great post.

Plidn1...I've been hoping for one of the mud divers of a higher caliber and more experience than me to come along and chime in... deep silt and weeds are a real killer...nearly impossible to hunt deep water/silt conventionally under a swim platform or a raft...always zero vis...
Mud