Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A little help please?

Terry Soloman

The "Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights," is meeting with the NYC Parks Commission this Monday, June 13th. If you have time over the weekend, please send a short email to the Commissioner in support of the hobby, and keeping all of our American public parks open to it!

email: adrian.benepe@parks.nyc.gov

Here is mine as an example - and THANK YOU!

Dear Commissioner Benepe,

I urge you to seriously consider the opinions and concerns of the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights, during your upcoming meeting on Monday. Metal detectorists from all over the United States, are following this subject closely. I know that New York City wants to treat all of its citizens and visitors fairly. Metal detecting in New York City Parks is a wholesome, family-friendly experience that should be celebrated. This is a chance for the NYC Parks Department to get to know our hobby, and how we can better work together towards the future of our public parks.

Sincerely,

Terry Soloman - White Plains, New York

email sent!!!

I used Monday 13 June Meeting in the subject line so it doesn't get deleted BEFORE its opened and used Terry's wording:

Dear Commissioner Benepe,

I urge you to seriously consider the opinions and concerns of the Task Force for Metal Detecting Rights, during your upcoming meeting on Monday. Metal detectorists from all over the United States, are following this subject closely. I know that New York City wants to treat all of its citizens and visitors fairly. Metal detecting in New York City Parks is a wholesome, family-friendly experience that should be celebrated. This is a chance for the NYC Parks Department to get to know our hobby, and how we can better work together towards the future of our public parks.

Sincerely,

Mark Wilson & Family

Mark!!!! Thank You :cheers:

I sent an email too, but left my address off.

I figured if they saw it came from Florida, they wouldn't pay any attention. Hope it helps.

Folks, I have something I want to say here.

I hope you will please take a moment to read what I am about to say.

I don't like to soapbox, but we have a problem that is spreading. A real problem. And it is going to affect you personally. If not today, then soon.

We are losing our ability to metal detect parks and other public areas. Where I live in Orlando, right now you need permits to hunt certain parks, not others, and you have to guess which is which. You can be fined if you guess wrong, or else run off the park. In the neighboring county parks of Brevard, metal detecting is banned. Period.

Of course the reason is some detectorists leaving big holes in the ground. We all know that. We've heard it time and time again.

I know that some of you are feeling apathetic about the whole thing. I know the attitude: "hey, my area's ok, so I've got nothing to worry about right now."

The problem is, you do have something to worry about, and right now.

There is a steamroller going through communities large and small. A few complaints and parks departments are simply banning detecting in one park after another without taking into account the actions of responsible detectorists because we sit on our hands and say nothing, or at best we come on these forums and complain about losing our parks.

Too little, too late.

And it is happening in urban, suburban, and rural areas.

It is coming to your area. Make no mistake. It is going to happen.

Am I an alarmist? You bet. I see what's happening to my area and I don't want it to happen to yours.

I'm not a "joiner", but if we don't start banding together and support each other, even those on the other side of the country, we are going to lose some of our favorite hunting sites. If you can't attend a rally or go to parks meeting, is sending an email asking too much?

We have a voice, all of us. But its useless if we never use it when we need it most.

With so many people getting into this hobby ignorant of any code of ethics, they may not understand the damage they are doing.

If you are one of the hole diggers, please, please, please, start filling your holes. You are killing this hobby for everyone, including yourself, Yes, you. You are hurting yourself. You don't have to get caught and cited for vandalism. They find the hole. They close the park to detecting. For everyone. Including you.

If they close a park or other public area in your area to metal detecting, how would you feel? What would you do about it? You need to think about that. Right now.

Forgive me if I sound pushy. All I feel is urgency about this.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Smudge! :cheers:

Dear Terry,

Sorry to have kept you hanging this long, but I didn't get back home until 5:45 New York time, and I was so exhausted from all the preparations, all the emotion and the meeting itself, that as soon as I got home, my head hit the pillow and I was out for 2 hours.

Anyhow, the meeting came off as scheduled and the task force addressed pretty much all the agenda items. While one hour had been budgeted for our meeting by the parks department, it actually lasted approximately 75 minutes. The meeting was non-confrontational in nature as the task force used a reasoned approach, backed up by written materials from recognized authorities where available and applicable. One thing which we wanted to do, but which the parks department did not permit us to do, was to have them witness an actual target recovery. Nevertheless, the task force got the impression that there might be some yield in the parks department positions, especially with respect to the arbitrary 50' rule, where suggestions from the task force were actually sought. We expect that it may be several weeks before we know if any progress can be made on this or any of the other agenda items that were discussed. We will keep you in the loop as we learn more.

The task force wants to take this opportunity to once again thank you for your personal support and persistent efforts to gain more widespread support from the detecting community. This time, we achieved a moderate level of success in this regard. The task force also wants to thank all that see the merit in what we are trying to accomplish and actually took the time to write a personal email in support of the task force to Commissioner Benepe. Ultimately, all that enjoy and wish to see the proliferation of the pastime of metal detecting, will benefit from your efforts today.

It would be very much appreciated if you would post this on your websites.

Harold S. Lowenfels
TFMDR

Our problem seems to be detecting is almost an individual hobby much like running was when i used to run marathons. Its very difficult to even find locations where very many people can gather to hunt. This individuality has created bad habits that arent policed. Most cities also have parks departments.... who maintain ALL the parks so they close ALL parks when the manager gets a wild hair or complainant. Why? because its just easier to do than explain to someone why we should have the right to be in a park. Its very very difficult to get something changed like a ban once put into effect. Its the people who care like you guys who should address these bans. Compromises may have to be made, I personally have no problem getting a permit if it would allow me to use the park like other tax payers.

Dew

I do not feel its the majority of people that are leaving holes its a Small few But its those acts that affect us all I have been to parks and felled in someone Else's holes So I would not get blamed for leaving them. I hope that people learn how to recover their finds with out having to dig a large hole, I am just one person But I think it takes all of us to project a good light on the Hobby it only take a couple to spoil it for everyone..