Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A Merk and a mystery...

REVIER

I was told in the past this park I hunted today has been hunted out and has only clad and modern stuff left regarding coins.
I don't believe that is ever true and an Indian head pocket spill I dug here a few weeks ago proves that.
Second target dug today was a nice 3" deep Merk found in an extremely trash filled area near the entrance to this big old park and a parking area.
Tabs, pop tops, foil and who knows what other garbage all over this area but the F70 was set on DP tones, sense about 80, thresh at 1 and DE speed.
The thing picked a clad dime out clean in all this mess immediately after I got out of my truck and started hunting, and a few moments later found me this Merc amazingly easily.
Anyone could have found this thing because it wasn't deep, but I don't think others even attempt to hunt in the extreme trash like me so this was like shooting fish in a barrel for the F70 and I had the 11" DD coil on it too.
I also found this rusted disc that might be a steel war penny, it is the exact right size, but it came in at 12 iron and not high like a few others I found.
Into the tumbler it goes and I hope something besides an old steel knockout plug will be revealed.

3 hunts in 3 days and I am learning a ton about the great F70 and I will write up those insights a little later.
An amazing machine, change the settings and you have a totally different animal to hunt with.

Silver coin # 1 for the year, I am sure it won't be my last.

That's one sweet looking merc.. REVIER. Congrats!:thumbup:

She sure is Pretty. Nice Find. Congratulations.

Nice Finds!!!

Niiiice! Good to see you pulled that out in the trash with the 11"dd...you can drop sens down into the 50s and it might sharpen it up even furthur! Especially heavy trash with multiple signals under the coil. Looks like you are going to be a monster this year with that 70! :thumbup:
Mud

Nice one Rev. There is no end to the possibilities with this great detector. Guess I am going to dump my clad and start looking for a deal on a DD. I still like my 10" elliptical for the quick sweep Tiki bars because of the Corolla caps but finding there is a need for the separation in those trashy parks-----IB

mudpuppy said:
Niiiice! Good to see you pulled that out in the trash with the 11"dd...you can drop sens down into the 50s and it might sharpen it up even furthur! Especially heavy trash with multiple signals under the coil. Looks like you are going to be a monster this year with that 70! :thumbup:
Mud

Thanks, mud!
I had it in DP tones because, (ala you), because that is what I ended up using on the previous hunt trying to get better at this, and even in this huge amount of trash with this big coil both dimes were clear high tones and I could hear them and see solid numbers on the VDI even though both were surrounded by garbage.
I am starting to like DP just like you, but I am still experimenting with others.

IBdiggin said:
Nice one Rev. There is no end to the possibilities with this great detector. Guess I am going to dump my clad and start looking for a deal on a DD. I still like my 10" elliptical for the quick sweep Tiki bars because of the Corolla caps but finding there is a need for the separation in those trashy parks-----IB

You want to talk about possibilities...dig this.
I think I might have found my best settings yet to hunt most sites and find absolutely...everything, no matter how shallow or deep.
My jaw dropped soon after I switched to hunting this way and I hope it will work at other sites but I think it will.

After passing by this area I went to the place where I found an Indian Head penny spill that was about 50 yards from this entrance.
This area has a large amount of EMI due to a power line in the area and many stately large homes just across the street that I suspect had wifi coming from some of them.
I usually hunt in Program 1 with whatever settings I want to hunt with, on program 2 I had it set as a check system in case I ran over something deep.
AT, Sense at 99, Thresh at 9, SL speed.
I don't think this thing can be set hotter than this.
I came across a few targets on program 1, and checked some of the deeper ones that were mostly iron with program 2.
Lots of jumping around because of the EMI on program 1, but when I ran over a target it settled down and gave me stable numbers and a solid tone.
Somewhere along the way while checking something with program 2 I realized that even at these super hot settings there was actually less jumping around than I had with program 1, and the numbers I saw on the screen were more stable and stayed within 2, actually just one most of the time so I left it on that program and continued to hunt with it.
I Changed program 1 to 0 on the disc, DE speed, Thresh at -1 because there was way to much noise any higher and sense at 99 and left it in DP tones...wondering if some deeper targets program 2 can see could also be seen with program 1.

Even at this end of the park with that extra EMI those super hot settings on program 2 were better and more stable than DE and lower sense and thresh on program 1.
I was floored, I tell you!

Moving the big coil slowly around the area I watched the screen closely, some zip-zip audio clues using AT but that had to do with depth and not target type, and I saw a million numbers flash by as I walked.
There is much iron in this old park so a lot of those numbers were in that area, 12 and under down to 6 and 7, mostly, a few down to even 1-5 and a couple that were in the mid teens or a little higher.
I also saw many foil and tab area numbers and stopped to examine these further in case they were chains or other types of jewelry.
The solid numbers that didn't jump I dug, the others I left in the ground.
I also had many pop top signals that were at high numbers but when moving the coil ends over these the numbers changed big time and dropped so I knew these were pop tops and I switched to program 1 on some of these and not only saw this same dropping effect but also heard that iron grunt.
After digging a few of these to make sure they were pop tops I quit digging these the rest of the day.
I also checked many signals of all types using that program 1 and everything program 2 found was seen by program 1 although a bit jumpier.
Every time I rolled over a good target like a coin in either program those numbers settled down and stabilized and I could pluck them out of the soil easy as pie.
There were a few tab and can slaw signals that were non jumpy and stable, also, trash every time, but just like on the F2 this will happen on some trash that actually is trash and not jewelry.
Luckily, a huge amount of trash is not like this, irregular shaped foil and can slaw, tabs that are not laying flat in the ground and so on, and will jump more than a few numbers no matter what you do or how you move the coil so you can tell.

Something else happened when I started hunting on program 2 that fooled me twice but I realized what it was soon enough.
I got some high numbers on the screen in the mid to high 90's...silver half or dollar coins?
In this park there was a chance they could be so I dug them after checking them with program 1 and seeing a little more jumpy numbers but a few of those high numbers flash by also.
Depth on both programs on these signals read at 8" or more so I had to check.
Both of these high number signals ended up being empty holes no matter how deep I dug, I haven't dug empty holes in years with any detector so this was curious.
Soon after I got a few more signals like this, some in the 90's, some in the 70's and 80's, and eventually noticed that when this happened the numbers stayed on the screen for a couple of seconds even after moving the coil away from the area.
Again, no real targets like coins did this ever, sweeping the coil over those I had instantly changing numbers and audio clues.
Ok, this was a revelation and I came to understand that these stuck on the screen numbers were some sort of false signal and quit going after these the rest of the day.
I have never seen this happen using other settings besides AT so I am assuming this is just something that happens when using just that particular setting.

The rest of the day hunting in program 2 with those super hot settings were a breeze after this.
A huge amount of numbers flashed by the rest of the hunt and I dug a few of the iron ones from time to time, just junk, some other trash signals that were solid, also, and many more coins including a few coin spills.
Every good target the rest of the day in program 2 was solid, stable, had numbers that jumped very little except 2 coin spills that had different coins in the hole and were very easy to find.
When I moved into the center of the park away from that EMI it was even better...even the info on program 1 stopped doing a lot of jumping and program 2 in AT and SL with those high sense and thresh settings were more stable than ever.

By watching the screen and seeing all those numbers pass by it was almost like I could get and exact picture in my mind of what was laying below me.
I didn't dig everything so I can't be sure 100%, but my confidence hunting with this thing is growing with every minute I am out swinging this marvelous machine.

I was aiming to dig some super deep signals yesterday but didn't come across any this time but they are here and I can't wait to find out what they are.
This park has history going back to the late 1800's with a golf course, park dwellers and even a civil war battle so hunted out...I think not.
I am more convinced now than ever that I have a machine that can find anything hiding here and other sites just like it no matter how deep or surrounded by trash, and EMI hopefully will not affect me or my readings any more using these hot settings on program 2...I hope.
I will be spending a lot of time in this huge, old 74 acre "hunted out" park this year.

I'll be damned! Like you, I sure do have a lot of confidence in the 70 audio/fast recovery engineering...especially the modulated or proportional part of that circuit, depth and size.....I hunted in AT for nearly a year before using any disc or tones..I figured you'd take this to a higher level knowing you, your read on a location, fast target acquisition and retrieval skills, and be better able to provide some input that makes sense to the reader...I rarely look at the screen or tids after using DP tones...as I suspect you will be reporting on soon...coins on edge, iron masked, tight spills, stacks and slants..all have a distinct audio signature after a while, heck, you can tell depth, coin denomination, and very nearly the date from the first ping...
You try hopping that 11"dd in the trash and it opens up a whole new world...you will NEVER again use the pp button, or your hand held pinpointer..
A lighter sens and a neg thresh seem to tighten everything up in the 5" range hunting trash..at least for me...I sure am glad you are out and hunting! Great enjoyment from reading your adventures!:beers:
Mud

mudpuppy said:
I'll be damned! Like you, I sure do have a lot of confidence in the 70 audio/fast recovery engineering...especially the modulated or proportional part of that circuit, depth and size.....I hunted in AT for nearly a year before using any disc or tones..I figured you'd take this to a higher level knowing you, your read on a location, fast target acquisition and retrieval skills, and be better able to provide some input that makes sense to the reader...I rarely look at the screen or tids after using DP tones...as I suspect you will be reporting on soon...coins on edge, iron masked, tight spills, stacks and slants..all have a distinct audio signature after a while, heck, you can tell depth, coin denomination, and very nearly the date from the first ping...
You try hopping that 11"dd in the trash and it opens up a whole new world...you will NEVER again use the pp button, or your hand held pinpointer..
A lighter sens and a neg thresh seem to tighten everything up in the 5" range hunting trash..at least for me...I sure am glad you are out and hunting! Great enjoyment from reading your adventures!:beers:
Mud

So much to learn and I am really enjoying my time learning all of it no matter how long it takes, and I still read everyone's posts about experiences and settings and take it all in.
So many different settings and every time you change a few it is like you are hunting with a completely different machine.
Add in the different coils and multiply those huge amount of settings and experiences by changing those settings several fold.
I really loved learning and hunting with the F2 and I have to say I would not be anywhere near understanding the F70 even this well at this early stage without that knowledge, but the difference between using different setting possibilities and what they can do for you and help you find is vast between the two.
With the F70 it seems the possibilities are endless, but I am inching closer to finding the best way to set this up for me and the way I hunt.
Still have lots of experimenting to do, all of this is such a thrill and so much fun to do it too, and as you can see I am finding some pretty cool things along the way.
What a great hobby, what a great tool to enjoy it with!

Well, the combinations the 70 allows, between coils and set-ups are probably mathematically endless...thats for sure...for a simple man like me, I settled on what seems to do the best in my area and my type of hunting...of course my hunting style has been patterned to a great degree off of your success with the F2 on gold...then it was a matter of developing a very fast retrieval method, so a guy could ramp up the learning process of what the machine was saying by getting as many targets in a short a time as possible...effectively condensing the learning curve...so I for one have learned a great deal following your hunting style and site reading ability in the past few years you've been hitting it...yep, this Forum sure makes us better in a short hurry., sharing skills and all...I dont know how the old boys did it on their own, not having any sort of gauge to compete with amongst fellow hunters..:thumbup:...one of these danged days I'm gonna haveta buy you a cold one! :beers:
Mud

Yep, a cold one with a big ole steak dinner after a long successful hunt at an old park would be nice!

Well, I'm pretty sure I can outhunt you at any old park, 70 vs 70 straight up competition!...or at the very least out drink you afterwards! You see, I've studied your strengths and weaknesses...I figure a handful of zincs tossed at the edge of a BB court will keep you busy for a while! At least thats what I tell myself! Or else whats the point?:rofl:
Mud

mudpuppy said:
Well, I'm pretty sure I can outhunt you at any old park, 70 vs 70 straight up competition!...or at the very least out drink you afterwards! You see, I've studied your strengths and weaknesses...I figure a handful of zincs tossed at the edge of a BB court will keep you busy for a while! At least thats what I tell myself! Or else whats the point?:rofl:
Mud

So what color is the sky in your little world, mud?
A lovely shade of chartreuse, or maybe fuchsia? :lol:

I am a man of mystery and I learned long ago never to let anyone know everything about the cards you are actually holding.

Cool that someone else has seen the value of using program 1 and program 2 as separate comparison channels. Until now I've have not seen anyone use the Auto Tune and discrimination modes as a comparison tool other than myself. In some of my earlier sharing I spoke of mode number 1 being my Auto Tune mode since a fresh ground balance is beneficial with every new location. Lots of imported topsoil from different locations. This Wi. River valley was a giant lake for thousands of years. I have found by slipping into mode 1, which I have setup in Auto Tune, there is no discrimination and that means less falsing. This also means fewer numbers in VDI which is beneficial when already bombarded with pesky EMI signals. If you watch closely at times when using discrimination mode you hear a false high tone with no iron grunt and even though it is notched out you will still see the icon giving a signal. For lack of a better description I have heard this referred to as wrap around. I feel most of them are caused by over powering discrimination mode with too much power and threshold. When in AT, that signal does not wrap around since there is no discrimination and means higher power setting are possible and deeper more accurate VDI's are the reward.
I'm anxious to hear if this responds the same with both coils--IB

:rofl: You wanna piece of this IB? Tell you what, while you two are switching programs, running hot, trying to decide whether your signal is a crowncap or a quarter, I'll be stabbin, grabbin, and silver coin slabbin'!
Running light and fast!:detecting: It sure would be cool to someday have a hunt off with somebody else that swings a 70...Man, that would be some serious fun there!:thumbup:
Mud
(gosh, I'm bored! Cant hunt, might as well pick a fight!):rofl:

IBdiggin said:
Cool that someone else has seen the value of using program 1 and program 2 as separate comparison channels. Until now I've have not seen anyone use the Auto Tune and discrimination modes as a comparison tool other than myself. In some of my earlier sharing I spoke of mode number 1 being my Auto Tune mode since a fresh ground balance is beneficial with every new location. Lots of imported topsoil from different locations. This Wi. River valley was a giant lake for thousands of years. I have found by slipping into mode 1, which I have setup in Auto Tune, there is no discrimination and that means less falsing. This also means fewer numbers in VDI which is beneficial when already bombarded with pesky EMI signals. If you watch closely at times when using discrimination mode you hear a false high tone with no iron grunt and even though it is notched out you will still see the icon giving a signal. For lack of a better description I have heard this referred to as wrap around. I feel most of them are caused by over powering discrimination mode with too much power and threshold. When in AT, that signal does not wrap around since there is no discrimination and means higher power setting are possible and deeper more accurate VDI's are the reward.
I'm anxious to hear if this responds the same with both coils--IB

Honestly, I never look at the icons, only the numbers but I will pay closer attention today on another hunt at that same park.
Weird that I might end up using AT, SL and those high sense and thresh settings to hunt with and use lower powered disc settings to check, but at sites like this with a huge amount of history and targets that could be way, way deep that could be something I can get used to.
Wish me luck.
I have been told this park has been hunted out but that is just a huge joke to me.
I am really getting gold fever at this point so with a little luck today, who knows?
I will of course take all the old coins and silver in any form I come across also...and I hope that happens.
I will report back on this hunt later if I find anything cool.

mudpuppy said:
:rofl: You wanna piece of this IB? Tell you what, while you two are switching programs, running hot, trying to decide whether your signal is a crowncap or a quarter, I'll be stabbin, grabbin, and silver coin slabbin'!
Running light and fast!:detecting: It sure would be cool to someday have a hunt off with somebody else that swings a 70...Man, that would be some serious fun there!:thumbup:
Mud
(gosh, I'm bored! Cant hunt, might as well pick a fight!):rofl:

I am not up to super speed yet because of all this experimenting and figuring out stuff but it is building.
I am sure I could hold my own in a volume death match if I needed to.
I did this once before hunting with a friend back in Bama, his E Trac against my F2.
That was great fun, and guess who won?