Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A must have book for info on Illinois ghost towns...

jughed440

I love this book published by the Illinois State Historical Society titled "Illinois Place Names" (revised copy printed in '89). There are over 600 pages of invaluable information...it lists virtually every named town that has existed, or still exists. It states when a ghost town's post office was established, when it was discontinued, and the County in which the town was located. It also shows town name changes.
I'm not aware if The Illinois State Historical Society has copies available, but it doesn't hurt to contact them.

I wonder if they have one for Indiana.
I've been using the Indiana Room at my
library and have found lots of places to detect
but a book like that would be handy.
Robt2300

Robert2300 said:
I wonder if they have one for Indiana.
I've been using the Indiana Room at my
library and have found lots of places to detect
but a book like that would be handy.
Robt2300

The book is very handy for dating the towns. They may appear on later maps, but it's nice knowing when the towns were established. One particular ghost town opened its post office in 1850, closed it in 1876..it reopened that same year, and closed for good in 1892. Since that town's location was right where a newer road is, most of what was in the ground has been buried or scraped away. But i will search an old road that appears in the 1875 atlas and led to that town from a different direction...The road's location is now wooded but is easy to spot, it's roughly 3/4 mile long.
Permission has been granted :drool::super:

What detectors are you using?
You know, about four years ago I drove from Indy
to a place called Birds IIinois. The town had a major flood years back
and many buildings had to be town down. I didn't have a lot of
time but it was a good hunt. Check the place out. Its right on the
State line Indy/Ill.
Robert2300

Robert2300 said:
What detectors are you using?
You know, about four years ago I drove from Indy
to a place called Birds IIinois......Check the place out. Its right on the
State line Indy/Ill.
Robert2300

I use an E Trac, and just purchased the AT Gold, but have only a couple of hours of hunt time using it.

I assume that it's the "Birds" in Lawrence county...
And I found out that there was a town named "Big Bottom":laugh: