Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

A new one on me!

Out the other evening, in a lonely field, thinking I'm all alone, but we probably all know that wherever we are, there's a chance someone is watching, even though we might never see them.
So, I'm swinging along, finding nothing, when suddenly I hear this voice from over a nearby fence.

"What are you doing?"

So we have the usual conversation. The guy tells me that it's not likely I'll find anything in that field because it's basically been cattle and horse pasture, nothing much there. That doesn't change my mind, but...

He seems lonely, and he keeps talking, and in the course of conversation he tells me his wife has passed away. I offer my condolences. Then he invites me onto his property to hunt his back yard, and his house is from the 1940's, so that sounds like a better deal. I agree.

Although my wife knew I was headed to the pasture, now I'm headed where no one knows where I am.

I'm now in a fully fenced and enclosed back yard; no one else seems to be around. Me with headphones on, noises in my ears, focusing on my detecting. The guy has gone into his house.

I'm down on the ground, opening up a little flap. I look up, and here the guy is standing next to me and slightly behind me. I look again, and he is standing there, with a MEAT CLEAVER in his hand.

(Dramatic pause......)

My first thought, after realizing my situation was, "well, if it's my time, at least I will die happy, doing something I love."

But obviously I am writing this, so fortunately my time had not yet come.

Instead, he says, "I'm chopping up some meat for dinner. Would you like some?"

Whew!

I politely decline, and he goes back inside.

Eventually the hunt yields a '57 Rosie, along with assorted clad. Silver!!!!!!!!

He couldn't have been more gracious or kind.

But for a moment there, he had me a bit concerned.

Fortunately, all's well that ends well.

Anyone else had anything like this happen?

Wow, what a story. -------Couple weeks ago,after hunting was talking to the property owner and he tells me that there has been a bear around last couple days.----------------------.I think about packing!!!!!!!!!--------------after1-------

I have met a lot of people in my 18 years of detecting, a lot are just lonely or interested in what we are doing. Now I have been in some places that I felt that would be my last, but got out ok. You just never know what people are thinking anymore. I always pack when I am detecting, but no one ever knows, I don,t have it out where anyone can see it. I have a few times had my hand on it and ready to pull on dogs and even a bull one time. Thank God I have never had to use it in the 8 years I have had my permit. I hope I never have to pull it out, but if I do, I hope God gives me the will to do what is best.

How do you know that if you didn't turn around when you did he wasn't going to kill you ? Why did he even have to bring the cleaver out ?
Did you catch his name ? It wasn't by any chance Hannibal was it ?

After thinking about this and rereading it I have come to the conclusion you may very well be trying to put one over on the readers of your post . You actually had me believing it for a while . :clapping:

He must have had a whole dead cow/side of beef? or a whole deer or something big to be using a cleaver on it? Dang, why the heck would he be "chopping up some meat" (large quantity) for dinner for just 2 people?? I would have got REALLY worried if he had said "I'm baaaaack, here's Johnny"!!! or something to that effect!!!lol!:rofl:

I did find, strangely enough, a '57 rosie in the change I got from the store today. Good luck with your hunts and next time use your cell to let someone know if ur plans changed.....

dirt doctor said:
After thinking about this and rereading it I have come to the conclusion you may very well be trying to put one over on the readers of your post . You actually had me believing it for a while . :clapping:

Holloween 'is' fast approaching. Yet in these times, who knows.

Might of been a better story if a running chain saw was involved!:heh:

You have reminded us we need to be alert....

I have no way to prove anything to anyone but my word...this is entirely true!

If he would have wanted me, I would have had the meat cleaver in the head before I ever saw him.

Fortunately for me, he had no such motives; he just gave me a bit of a startle.

Mike

Hi OregonMike , Thanks for the story and yeah , that was Spooky! Whenever I am hunting alone and in those isolated type locations I always have my 22 Mag either on me or sacked up and hanging on me somewhere. I can identify with the feller in being alone and living by himself since his wife passed away. Believe me, I don't "cleave up" any big meals, ever! It is almost impossible to buy groceries for one person, for two would be almost as difficult.. Stuff just does not last long enough for me to eat it , even with the fridge cranked to 40*below! Yes, good reminder for us all so lets not just beware, let's Be Aware and Pay Serious Attention ! HH. Charlie

OregonMike said:
I have no way to prove anything to anyone but my word...this is entirely true!

If he would have wanted me, I would have had the meat cleaver in the head before I ever saw him.

Fortunately for me, he had no such motives; he just gave me a bit of a startle.

Mike

I guess there was a part of me that was hoping you were kidding . I would still be cleaning loads out of my pants if that happened to me . I've been walked up on and been startled but not by anyone that held a possible weapon in their hand . He's lucky that you didn't give him a mouthful of detector . I also wonder what would have happened if you dug up something like a gold cache . There are just to many nut jobs out there to take anything for granted nowadays . I try not to take risks anymore , I may not find as much as I used too but my trips are still enjoyable . Just curious , would you hunt there again ?

I could understand an ole timer using a clever to chop meat and him dashing outside with cleaver in hand to act on his thought to ask you to join him for dinner-----AND I could see YOU being dinner !! Most old timers,especially if they have lost their spouse,are just lonely and maybe awkward socially,however, I tote in a pocket and NEVER show it or talk about it. Good luck and the ole timer may know some other good spots.

Maybe he buried his wife out there, and you were getting a little too close to finding the ring on her finger! LOL.

I had one time that I can think of that truly could have ended badly. I was fairly new to detecting, and myself and my 2 boys went to a remote area by the river searching and playing around in the water. This area is roughly 3 miles out of town. No other vehicles were present, so I didn't think anyone was around. The boys were playing at the river's edge, and I was about a half blocks distance with my headphones on, when I suddenly felt the urge to look up. To my surprise, there was a man standing directly in front of me. I immediately to my headphones off and politely said hello, as I was trying to process the environmental change. The guy was dressed very grungy and had a 22 rifle strapped to his back! I talked with him a bit as he told me he was just passing through, and was camping up river a little ways for a week or so. He said he was also waiting to meet up with an old friend or something. He had no vehicle and was living off the fish he caught. At this point, I looked over at the boys, and my vehicle, and realized how vulnerable the situation was. No one else around to stop this guy from taking what he wanted, if that was his wish. I don't recall exactly how I talked my way out of this position, but I remember telling the boys we had to get going soon, and we made our way to the truck. I don't think I even had a cell phone at time. I felt absolutely powerless in this situation because I knew I could not defend my boys and myself against this guy, and neither of the boys had a clue that they were in possible danger. They were whining about having to leave so early, and I was sweating adrenaline, thinking fight or flight. Luckily this guy didn't have bad intentions, or was compassionate enough to pass on the opportunity to take advantage of us. I never want to be in that position again.

*I don't recall if I seen a knife on him, or if he described gutting his fish with a hunting knife, but I do remember acknowledging that he had one.

Good while ago stopped at a farm house to ask permission. It was down a fairly long private lane. Busted up car in the front yard, weeds. Screen door half open. Knocked, nothing, knocked louder, nothing. Almost could feel someone in there. As I was walking back to my Jeep, turned around, and caught a window blind closing fast on the second floor. Felt my hair raising up, got out of there, never went back.

ronhob said:
Maybe he buried his wife out there, and you were getting a little too close to finding the ring on her finger! LOL.

I had one time that I can think of that truly could have ended badly. I was fairly new to detecting, and myself and my 2 boys went to a remote area by the river searching and playing around in the water. This area is roughly 3 miles out of town. No other vehicles were present, so I didn't think anyone was around. The boys were playing at the river's edge, and I was about a half blocks distance with my headphones on, when I suddenly felt the urge to look up. To my surprise, there was a man standing directly in front of me. I immediately to my headphones off and politely said hello, as I was trying to process the environmental change. The guy was dressed very grungy and had a 22 rifle strapped to his back! I talked with him a bit as he told me he was just passing through, and was camping up river a little ways for a week or so. He said he was also waiting to meet up with an old friend or something. He had no vehicle and was living off the fish he caught. At this point, I looked over at the boys, and my vehicle, and realized how vulnerable the situation was. No one else around to stop this guy from taking what he wanted, if that was his wish. I don't recall exactly how I talked my way out of this position, but I remember telling the boys we had to get going soon, and we made our way to the truck. I don't think I even had a cell phone at time. I felt absolutely powerless in this situation because I knew I could not defend my boys and myself against this guy, and neither of the boys had a clue that they were in possible danger. They were whining about having to leave so early, and I was sweating adrenaline, thinking fight or flight. Luckily this guy didn't have bad intentions, or was compassionate enough to pass on the opportunity to take advantage of us. I never want to be in that position again.

*I don't recall if I seen a knife on him, or if he described gutting his fish with a hunting knife, but I do remember acknowledging that he had one.

I can just imagine that old saying going through your mind on the way home...."It is better to have a gun and not need it, then to need one and not have it"

I have a buddy who carries, but I've never owned a gun and don't want one. I'd be more likely to hurt myself than anyone else. So when I'm by myself, I basically need to pay better attention to whatever is going on around me. It happens that on the day I'm describing, I happened to have forgotten my cell phone, too. I don't think I had mentioned that. It was a pretty lonely feeling and I probably won't ever forget it again.

Mike

Would I hunt there again?

Not needed. I think I did a pretty good job on the place.

However, he was a real nice guy and probably just never thought what it would look like to me if he carried that cleaver outside.

He told me I could keep anything I found unless a buried treasure showed up.

So, if I hadn't finished up, then yes, I would hunt there again.

He also told me about two nearby properties. One, not to go there because it had been a serious gang/drug house and probably had needles in the ground, and one, yes, to go there once they mowed it down a little. I've been by there a couple times and it's still way too high for detecting effectively.